• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

First "professional" sign you made.

mark in tx

My first professional sign was also the first time I quit a sign shop.

10 banners, 3'x20'. $300.00 each.
Customer comes to pick up and pay, owner steps in and changes price to $170.00 each.

I wait until customer leaves, then ask owner why. She said giving them a discount would bring in more business because they will tell everyone about the great deal.

I quit. Didn't even think twice.

Not too long after I found signs101, the rest is history.

round man

Repainted a couple of campground signs back in 1969,....think the font was kinda like a wanted poster,...one shot white with a black drop shade on a medium brown,..no pics here but I made $75 for that repaint,..back then we would get $100 for lettering two truck doors,..seems these new fang dangled vinyl folks are still charging close to that here,...some things never change,....

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Repainted a couple of campground signs back in 1969,....think the font was kinda like a wanted poster,...one shot white with a black drop shade on a medium brown,..no pics here but I made $75 for that repaint,..back then we would get $100 for lettering two truck doors,..seems these new fang dangled vinyl folks are still charging close to that here,...some things never change,....

Yeah, but we did it with a grease pencil, thimble full of paint and a $12 quill in about an hour. They're doing it with $20k printers, $5k laminators and gobs of inks and the skill to lay a decal on a flat surface straight. Ya can't get much harder than that...........:doh: Oh.... and it only takes them a day or so.... according to how long they let the graphics out-gas....... :ROFLMAO:

royster13

For quite a number of years I have brokered signs, banners, etc. But a while back I had a request for 10 3 x 10 banners. 2 lines of 1 colour text. After looking at costs to outsource and what I had sold them for and the time I had to deliver I bought a plotter and supplies and went to town. Figured worst case I would be out 500.00 or 600.00 and have to outsource. But it worked out very well.

Jillbeans

My first "for pay" sign was in 1980, lettered on a 4'x4' chunk-o-plywood customer provided.
I used red rustoleum and charged $50 for a double-sided for rent sign.
I still see it to this day, on occasion, when his building has an empty spot.
I have a picture somewhere but I'm too lazy to get it out. Took me about 4 hours.
I did everything by hand until 1998.
Love.....Jill

artbot

first time to join the dark side.

for years i was asked if i could "sneak" in a logo or industry related imagery into pieces done for offices. this is the first actual sign that i in no way could convince myself that it was a piece of art. since then i've been taking more and more orders with the economy being iffy, i'm just glad to be busy.

Attachments

• cima.jpg
    cima.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 79
  • cima2.jpg
    cima2.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 73

signmeup

Heavy Metal always has the "y" hanging off Gino
http://www.joblo.com/posters/view-poster.php?id=25016

QUOTE]

Not quite.

That piece was done before you were born. That was a logo developed by a local artist and I airbrushed it in the 70's for a music store that had patented 'Heavy Metal' guitar strings. That was his packaging label. He needed it large to put on stage when he played gigs to promote his strings.
It does bear a striking resemblance to the 70's icon.

Attachments

• HeavyMetal.PNG
    HeavyMetal.PNG
    142.5 KB · Views: 85

thesignexpert

First sign at the tender age of 13. 18"x24" aluminum real estate sign with frame for $30.00 to another enterprising class mate. "Chuck's Small Engine Repair", red helvetica on white and used my dad's state of the art Gerber IVb... (can't claim artistic genius on that one)

If I remember correctly, Chuck was pulling in $100 per week fixing things in his neighborhood in no time. Pretty good money for 7th grade.

obxgrfx

The first paying sign wasn't a sign. It was a sub-contract for "Hypertherm" decals in 3 different sizes. The smallest was italicized .333 Helvetica Bold Condensed and .063 stripes on white vinyl. Damn near went blind weeding those things :ROFLMAO: but those checks kept me going for almost a year as we built the business.