• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

First real sign

dirtydog50000

Hi,

I'm designing, producing and installing my first what I would call real sign (I've done plenty of banners, coro and lettering but nothing like this. If I could get a little insight on pricing on a job like this i would apreciate it. Atached is the plan submited to the town.

Thank you,

Paul

Attachments

• SWEET ANDY'S LARGE STREET SIGN new 1-8-2013.pdf
    863.5 KB · Views: 52

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What materials and methods are at your disposal for making this sign ??

In addition, I believe your layout lacks quite a bit. Between too many serifs, squashing, repeating, unneeded asterisks, negative spacing and colors..... you need some coaching or help.

SignManiac

About a grand here. plus install

For basic as you described. I could get $2k or better for a dimensional sign. Your design could use improvement

Mosh

Avery? LOL. Use Oracal 751 or 951.
Check out auesign frames they are MM on here, they can hook up up with a PVC frame/post system that are hands down the best I have ever used....then you can use max metal (poly metal) and not that lusterboard that will only last 2-3 years...

Here is their site....http://www.auesignframes.com/default.aspx

Last edited:

Jillbeans

Next time post a jpg so more people can see.
Are you sure you want to use that layout?
I don't discuss pricing in the open.
• Lustreborad can delaminate, I would re-think that and use Alumalite
• Avery can come unglued...try Oracal 951
Love.....Jill

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ha..... I didn't see the materials at the bottom, it didn't open that far for me the first time.

Like Jill, I'm not a fan of posting up numbers out here in the open, but I feel you're using all the wrong materials, too.

Maniac's price sounds Okay.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Just trying to help... If you keep your dimensions outside of the drawing of the sign, the art will look a bit more cleaner/professional.

The attached is a survey but shows what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• SECTION2.jpg
    SECTION2.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 46

Hicalibersigns

The ends on your dimension arrows are so long it took me awhile to figure out that they are arrows. Again, this is constructive criticism aimed at helping you to look a bit more professional. Moze is right, they should be outside the drawing. Grab some professionally done blueprints and study the way that they place dimensions on a drawing.

Doc Savage

If your going to use lusterboard you will need to have some sort of support on top and bottom to prevent it bowing in the wind. Additionally you need to protect the edges of lusterboard or it will delam pretty quick as compared to other products.

I would recommend a 3/4" aluminum C-channel top and bottom for the board to set in. With drain holes drilled in the bottom channel. Additionally, I also recommend using alumalite instead of lusterboard. The aluminum surface will last much longer than the PVC and will not fade as quickly.

That being said I designed a sign just like this last week and it was build and installed by our shop on last Friday. I don't forsee it lasting long in Ohio winters.

Pat Whatley

Nothing wrong with a can of worms. You're missing a golden opportunity to do something nice. A rectangle on two posts is boring, it's lifelesss, it's something to be ignored.

For the love get rid of the dang address. If people are looking for it they'll know they're in the right spot when the see the name.

Here's a quick thought...no big deal to knock out with a jigsaw.

Attachments

• sweet andy.jpg
    sweet andy.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 34

DizzyMarkus

In our town we also need to show distance from street, building and actual mounting location for the town to say its safe. They sometimes depending on structure, require mounting specs. Ours must be much more detailed than yours.
We submit your type for the customer to signoff on :smile:

Markus

John Butto

a breath of fresh air

Nothing wrong with a can of worms. You're missing a golden opportunity to do something nice. A rectangle on two posts is boring, it's lifelesss, it's something to be ignored.

For the love get rid of the dang address. If people are looking for it they'll know they're in the right spot when the see the name.

Very nice, great advice.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer

I was going to draw something up but no need, this is what I'm talking about!!!
Nice!