• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help first squaretube w/ breakaway anchor & sleeve install, tomorrow morning

Doug Allan

probably should have posted this a bit earlier, but here goes...

I have 3 sign posts to install & have never used these square tubes with the 2 sleeves, but I want to provide the breakaway functionality that is present on other traffic signs in this subdivision.

I saw one video of someone using some hydraulic tool that beats the post into the ground, but I don't have access to that.

I know i can just dig a hole, drop posts in, and backfill but I have two concerns about that.
First, I know i can replace the dirt alone (plus a strategically placed rock or two) & in many field conditions this can be quite secure.

The concern here is the same as my larger concern with possibly adding concrete (if i find the need for it) as well, and that has to do with the possible need to replace a sign post.

I understand the anchor(s) should be able to withstand the impact of a vehicle breaking off a sign post, and the anchors would remain in the ground, however the bottom of the sign post needs to be extracted, so even the packing down of dirt has me wondering about tips from any breakaway pros... but the concrete issue is even more challenging.

I'm certain I don't want concrete flowing into the holes of my main square tube, so I'm at a loss how to best secure the anchor, first, leaving an easy path to drop in the long heavy signpost after.

I'm imagining wrapping some vinyl or duct tape, or something in between that can easily cover all the holes on the anchor post, with tape strong enough that weight or pressure from concrete wouldn't push in the holes all down the anchor post sections.

I found a pic online, showing my same set of materials.
My 10' post outer dimension (2"x2") fits inside a larger 36" long anchor.
The 36" anchor fits inside an optional 18" sleeve. (as in the SSPI-02 drawing below)

This neighborhood seems as though it might have some very loose soil, judging from a number of signs that are, or have been loose, leaning, or bent. I've never needed to dig there before, but plan to bring digging tools, as well as water, Quickcrete & buckets, just in case.

If I cover the holes on the bottom 18" of the longer 36" anchor section, I'd like to believe that could be secured nice & plumb and then drop the other 18" sleeve on (or not use it) & finish with just dirt.

This is the best idea I have so far, but if anyone did this already with concrete especially, I'd bet you could give me a few tips...

Thanks in advance (I'm leaving around 11am Pacific Time, but I'll check here first!

Attachments

• breakaway.JPG
    breakaway.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 583

unclebun

Normally street sign posts are just driven into the ground. If you have to put a sleeve in practically flush with ground level, you'd be using a sledge hammer.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Dig out he hole to fit the 36" piece and cement it in. We generally leave I think about 3" or 4" stick out above the ground level. Maybe even 6" above. Your main pole will fit into the sleeve and the bottom of the sleeve will fit over the remaining post sticking out, but does not get cemented in. They get bolted together and if anything goes, it will be the break-away sleeve. In this way, you just put another break-away and post on if it gets damaged.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Dig out he hole to fit the 36" piece and cement it in. We generally leave I think about 3" or 4" stick out above the ground level. Maybe even 6" above. Your main pole will fit into the sleeve and the bottom of the sleeve will fit over the remaining post sticking out, but does not get cemented in. They get bolted together and if anything goes, it will be the break-away sleeve. In this way, you just put another break-away and post on if it gets damaged.

This is what we do. In certain areas, we HAVE to do breakaways per code even if it is only a street sign.

StarSign

Find out what the local code is, don't just guess and think it will be OK. If you install it incorrectly and there is an accident you take a percentage of fault.

Doug Allan

Dig out he hole to fit the 36" piece and cement it in.

That's my plan, but what's the best trick to keep cement from entering the holes all up & down all 4 sides of the 36" anchor"
I decided to wrap with garbage bag & just a little duct tape, but wonder what others have done

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Like this. Remember
sleeve.jpg
, a few inches will stick above the ground. That's what your break-away sleeve will go over. The break-away will break before the buried in cement piece, therefore, never having to dig it out again, if it gets hit. Just another top piece. No more digging.

Johnny Best

If you put tape over holes and your post slides all the way down into piece with concrete and then bolt it together, when a car hits it you will have the whole piece with concrete and post be torn up. No tape. I just sledge them down as others say and leave like 6" sticking up and slide in and bolt together. Its suppose to "break away" from bottom piece so for easy replacement.

Spida

Typically the breakaway spec from the FHWA is the anchor has a max of 4" out of the ground. The holes are on 1" centers, so just expose no more then 4 holes and you will be compliant.

MikePro

must be nice, digging post holes in Maui ....i only say that assuming endless fair-weather & scenery, but I'd imagine you frequently get patches of lava-rock.

oh, and yes....duct tape to "seal" your post, just wrap it like a hockey stick handle. the weight of the concrete might push on it a bit, but hardly enough to deform the duct tape into the inner dimensions of your post.