• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

First Stainless Steel tanker truck, I have a question, what vinyl?

george1948

Just received a request to do a stainless steel tanker truck, It carries liquid Soap.
Anyway. Wondering what vinyl to use? I have been using oracal 651, now it is time to branch out a little further.. This tanker is 40 feet long, customer wants logos and lettering nearly the whole length..

Suggestions? I have thought of using the Performance 951 Oracal vinyl. ANy thoughts? Prep it with rapid tac prep first..

Or where can I obtain air release vinyl in 24" widths?
thanks
george

Mosh

I have been using oracal 651

I hope not on stuff outdoors! Oracal 751 is what you need to use on this and everything else that is going outdoors. 651 is for banners and cheap stuff, not going to last 4-5 years outdoors, especially the red.

LowenCertified

I hope not on stuff outdoors! Oracal 751 is what you need to use on this and everything else that is going outdoors. 651 is for banners and cheap stuff, not going to last 4-5 years outdoors, especially the red.

You need to use 3M 181-10 series film which is specifically designed for use on stainless steel.

Back in the day before air release vinyls, I worked at a sign shop that did these quite often on road oiling tanker trucks. Dirtiest, grimiest things I ever encountered.
We used 3M 220 series and they're still on there today. Main thing is clean clean clean! We used lots of 409 to cut any grease, rinse, lather repeat, alcohol, rinse and then wiped with rapid tac.
Personally I think Oracal would work fine too. Hope that helps. Good luck with your project.