• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

First Store Front Window Job - What would you have charged?

J

john1

Yep! Doug has the idea or maybe i have the idea lol

Heck $200 your still making profit but we won't even go there, That's no reason to low ball.

From what I've seen, Salons aren't around long enough really to see vinyl fail. Heck i lettered one salon and a few months later they closed up. Then i just did another a few months ago and i think it's already closing cause the owner is cheap and doesn't want to spend any money on advertising. She got her salon name on the window and then put mailbox reflective letters under it for her phone number....Yeah she really did lol

Fanaticus

Thanks for the replies guys, this is really helping me understand some things that I've looked for answers for but never really got an understanding of it.

Don't worry about busting my chops, it's constructive critisism to learn from...
and who best to learn from than the people who already know?

Also, the main reason for asking about pricing is because I don't want to charge too little. It's time I make some money doing what I do... I'm tired of working for slave wages and being in poverty while calling myself a business owner. I have very little overhead, but want to expand and grow not sit still.

klemgraphics

Just make sure your making the kind of profit you do tinting windows and you should be in the ballpark. Unless your area tints a 4dr for $99.

Do great work and charge what it's worth.

Fanaticus

Just make sure your making the kind of profit you do tinting windows and you should be in the ballpark. Unless your area tints a 4dr for $99.

Do great work and charge what it's worth.

Actually, I'm in the distribution business and heading back into the service business.

We used to do installations, but then moved into the distribution business because it was easier faster money, and we still do well distributing but since we've started my business partner has developed health problems, his wife lost her job, I've gotten married and have a little boy now, and inflation has taken it's toll on the amount of money we need to make.....

So we're moving back into the service business as well as distribution.

Tinters around here are expensive.... a 4dr car goes for $250 and if the tinter is fast can be done in about an hour. It takes me 2.5-3 hours for that, but I don't rush either.

I figured vinyl would be an appropriate direction to move in since tint and vinyl seem to go hand in hand. I'd like to move into being able to do large signs too, like the big real estate signs you see in cornfields and such.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Discussing price out here is up to you and others that want to participate, but you'll gain far more knowledge in the 'Premium' section .... not only in price , but many other critical areas of this industry that many don't like discussing in the open forums.

I probably would not consider your price as bad, but you certainly are leaving a lot of money on the table. It's one thing to have the many problems you're facing with new partnerships, kids and others out of work, but those are generally reasons to get what you're worth, rather than giving the stuff away. However, using sub-standard materials is a no/no that one should never consider for just about any job. That stuff can come back to bite you..... real fast.

Personally, I would rather see you give us the information and your pricing first and look for help rather than just blindly ask for everyone's pricing. Like said by Pocono.... it doesn't matter what I get, you get or anyone else here gets.... you need to set your pricing based on your local market and what it will bear. If I say $800 and someone else says $600 and you do it for $400 and next time you do it for $600 [in the middle], you might never work again. Learn what others in your area are making and see how well you fit into those parameters. We can only give you so much information, but if you insist on using inferior products and giving replacement guarantees, you're going to run yourself into the ground. As for getting what you feel is fair and looking for more money.... your work has to be good enough in the first place to earn that extra buck. Just telling your customers that everyone on s101 said you should get whatever, won't do squat for you. You have to earn your customer's respect to get the big bucks.

mark galoob

The end all to find out if you are charging the right price:

1. if you charge a price and the customer says do it before you get the price out of your mouth...your too low

2. if you charge a price and the customer starts screaming at you and calling you a bastard and waving his arms up and down and throwing a temper tantrum...your too high

3. if you charge a price and the customer hem haws and has to think about it for a bit but finally agrees to it....price is right on...

mark galoob

OldPaint

$150 TO $300. its nothing fancy basic cut n stick on glass.any where in between those figures ya can by dinner for 2 with.

4R Graphics

Maybe its a Florida thing but I am with OldPaint in the $200 to $300 plus design fee for the logo installed. I know what several of the others in town charge and we are not the cheapest nor the most expensive where pretty close to middle maybe a little over. Now if its in the air price is higher gotta pay for the truck upkeep.

sghobbies

I don't think people give 651 enough credit. We've used quite a bit in the last 8 years or so and not had any problems. Well, except for red and brown( better use cast with those colors), they tend to fade with the quickness......lol.