• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

First time buyer for Large Format Printer

timalh3

If I'm understanding you correctly........are you saying you're wrapping vehicles with unlaminated UCJV prints? Would love to hear more about this, because I find it hard to believe. Which ink-set are you running?

Out of all our printers, the UCJV has the hardest and most scratch-resistant ink but I would never even fathom putting those unlaminated prints on a vehicle, let alone a wrap.

To the OP: I wouldn't consider the UCJV for wraps. It's a great machine but if you were to handle/work with UV and solvent/latex prints you would get why it's a bad idea. (Short story - UV ink sits on top of the vinyl and adds thickness and does not like to stretch like solvent or latex ink does) I personally don't have any experience with latex, and not sure I'll ever jump on that bandwagon, but I'll be looking at the Epson solvent printers next.

As already mentioned, make sure to check out the machines in person, see how they operate, and work with a dealer that will be a partner, not just a sales rep. They will be a valuable resource as you move forward.

Good luck with your search.
i will have to check the inks but it is only sold for latin america and south american customers

Aleck283

I would highly suggest staying away from uv for wraps. The Mimaki can produce some amazing prints, but the ink is very brittle and will crack easily while wrapping. love our Hp Latex 310 for wraps, and ucjv300 for banners and signs.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
We just did a whole show on making large purchases. It doesn't answer your questions directly, but might be worth a look:

Dave Sears

this seems like a really good promo deal

TulsaScuba

DO NOT get Mimaki UCJV300-160 with dual CMYK LUS-200 for vehicle wraps! I have had nothing but nightmares with vinyl prints from this machine. The ink and vinyl tear like paper. I have used every possible combination of 3M materials and consistently have vinyl failures. The material tears like paper, even after lamination. My installers have it tear when they are pulling knifeless tape. I have used Mutoh, Roland (eco-Sols), HP latex, and have never seen material behave as this does with UV ink. I would not suggest this machine to a wrapping rival because Karma would burn my shop down the next day.

Rohit Prasad

WWW.COMPASSCOLOR.COM
We are ready to start wrapping vehicles. I recently went to the Sema Show in Las Vegas to check out some printers can someone help guide us on what printer would be best. The two that we are considering in

HP Latex 700/800 Printer series or Mimaki UCJV300-160 Printer series.​

HP Latex 800 or Epson Surecolor series all the way!

Ryk

I'm interested in understanding the reason behind the inability to utilise UV printing for wrapping. Can someone assist?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I'm interested in understanding the reason behind the inability to utilise UV printing for wrapping. Can someone assist?
Most inks are not flexible/stretchy enough. Then you got the thick layer of ink to make laminating more difficult if it's needed.

• Agree
Reactions: Ryk

CC-CMYK

We have an two HP latex printers. If you can get a 365 I’d go with that. Haven’t heard good things about the 700/800. We also have an epson r5070. It’s Epsons version of of HP latex. I trust the Epson for wall murals and better/ more consistent color. If your just doing cars then go with HP if you do any wall murals don’t expect color consistency from panel to panel.

BigNate

Solvent or latex - they both work well and have their specific advantages and disadvantages... I personally am biased to the latex (running a 700W), but I would recommend purchasing whichever you can get the best and most local service for... none of these big wide format printer companies would be in business if their printers were all bad - so the main difference in actual field performance (in my opinion) has a lot more to do with how well supported the specific device is... If you can purchase the absolute most perfect printer that only fails and needs a tech 0.1% of the time (1-2 calls a year....) you will be cursing the tech if he is 2 days away and the 0.1% downtime is when you have a rush of 20 rolls to print before Friday!

figure out which brand has the best support talent in you area, then start looking at machines by that brand - if HP and Mimaki are equally supported, it is my opinion you would be happier with the HP (fyi, my hand was originally forced away from the solvent due to VOCs and working for a school district - but we make some pretty awesome things on the 700w. Even if solvent was an option, I would purchase the latex again based on my experience. but I am also aware some people have had bad experiences.)

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
Most UV inks are not stretchy....but the Colorado UV Gel inks are. Also 3M and Avery wrap approved.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I bought the HP315 about a year ago and I love it! I do partial wraps and signs. The nice thing is when you mess up you can quick reprint and laminate. I have not had any issues that were not self-induced. It runs great and little maintenance. I'm very happy with it. And, if you don't have the money for a laminator, you can use a manual laminator off Ebay. I have the 52" Vevor although get the next size up as the vinyl is 54". I'm always cutting a little off the sides.

gnubler

^^I've been looking for one of those 52" cold laminators and it seems like they've been out of stock everywhere for months now. If anyone finds a source for them please post on the forum.

Ryk

What printer would you recommend for prolonged outdoor use, considering exposure to sunlight and rain? I've heard that latex printers are more suited for indoor applications.

Eforcer

We are ready to start wrapping vehicles. I recently went to the Sema Show in Las Vegas to check out some printers can someone help guide us on what printer would be best. The two that we are considering in

HP Latex 700/800 Printer series or Mimaki UCJV300-160 Printer series.​

If you are presently wrapping, what are you using now? There's where you should start. I've been a Mutoh printer since 08' Wish I had a car port for wrapping. Good luck!

Stacey K

I like making signs
^^I've been looking for one of those 52" cold laminators and it seems like they've been out of stock everywhere for months now. If anyone finds a source for them please post on the forum.