Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question First Time Cutting PVC Board on CNC...

Discussion in 'CNC Routers & Engravers' started by 0igo, Aug 9, 2018.

1. 0igo

0igo Active Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Stockton Ca
    So a client of mine wants me to make him some UFC signs (the one the girls hold up in the ring). I'm thinking of using either ACP or PVC Board. (most likely going with pvc because of the edges). Does PVC get like foam after it's been cut and require lots of sanding down time? Or is a PVC Board bad choice for the ring girl sign?

Tags:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Unless you go with a rather hefty thickness....... pvc is gonna bend/bow when being held by only two corners at the bottom. I would look into a gatorboard of maybe 1/2" and reinforce where they will be held.

• Like Like x 1
  3. eahicks

eahicks Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks

Apr 17, 2012
    DALLAS, TEXAS
    6MM PVC should be more than adequate. Cuts great on a table or panel saw.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bannertime

bannertime "You guys do banners, right?"

Sep 8, 2016
    Arlington, TX
    I don't know anything about CNC, but I feel like a 10mm styrene faced foamboard (Ultraboard) might be better for a custom cut rigid sign. That's just from doing other ultraboard cut outs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. 0igo

0igo Active Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Stockton Ca
    Thank you everyone for your inputs. I'm going with something thicker for sure. I thought a 40in x 40 in piece of 6mm PVC wouldn't bend but I'm starting to think that it will. It's going to be held up inside an MMA ring

6. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I'd say ultraboard. It's light as hell and rigid as can be at that size. Depending on how cheap the customer is though, the ultraboard would ding up relatively quickly and unless the bimbo takes care of it between rounds, probably wouldn't survive more than a couple of events.

7. GB2

GB2 Very Active Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Connecticut, USA
    6mm PVC would be too heavy and flexible at that size and if dropped might break. The foamboard products would be OK but would be subject to damage if mishandled. You'd probably be best off with 10mm coroplast.

8. bannertime

bannertime "You guys do banners, right?"

Sep 8, 2016
    Arlington, TX
    Oh, or that bubble board stuff. 365 sells it as Polyair.

9. Sandman

Sandman Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Crystal Falls, MI
    Coroplast or Fome-Core or Ultra-Board with vinyl numbers. You're over thinking this. First, at 40 x 40 they need to be light. Second, so what if the edges get dinged a little. Who's looking that closely at the card anyway? Ring girls in bikinis... yeah people are going to be staring at the signs.

10. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

We make 24"x36" 30 second cards for motocross out of 6mm expanded PVC. We hand cut them and use a hand rotary tool to make the cutouts for handholds. A router would do the same and be faster. The boards are durable (we've never had a track bring one back because it broke, but we've had several bring them back for new graphics because they changed sponsors) and while hefty enough to not blow away easily are still light enough that girls can hold them up for 30 seconds and then turn them sideways. Coroplast won't last half a season of motocross, and has sharp corners to boot. Ultraboard would be worse.
    https://instagram.com/p/BYR0j4zl0uU/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=embed_loading_state_control
    Looks to me like 40"x40" would be way oversize. The UFC ones look like they are 24"x24" octagons. So I think 6mm PVC is your best choice.

11. IGNITION

IGNITION Purveyor of Weird Stuff

Feb 4, 2016
    New York, NY