• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help First time lamination problems

Lewis Roberts

Hi guys , new to the forum didn't know there were such great forums out there for this business ,i've been a designer for several years and recently ventured into printing the designs i produce, im having a few issues well mainly one with my laminator and hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

before anyone mentions it is yes a fairly cheap entry level laminator standard two roller design manual handle cranking. but it's all the funds can support at this time.

the main issue i have is when running material through especially when prints contain black they end up with slight streaks of darker black than others , almost like its been pressed more than the rest of the print but these streaks are only small and don't have any particular position or shape. Am i right thinking this is a pressure issue of some sort?

super thanks in advance

2B

There are MANY factors that can play into lamination
  • inconsistent pressure
  • inconsistent feed rate
  • warpped roller wheels
  • etc.

without a photo it is a guess to what is going on, that said the most common issue is called "SILVERING"
laminating pure black print

equippaint

Assuming its a manual table top type, when you tighten down the 2 handles/screws for the rollers, do them at the same time with both hands to try and feel that you have equal pressure. Get it snug then twist both equally a little more. Don't over tighten it. It sounds like you're putting too much pressure or its uneven. Might get some silvering too but it goes away in a day or so.
If its bigger, lower the upper roller until its basically just its weight on the lower, then tighten it just a hair more equally on each side.

ironchef

Sounds like slivering. we need pics to be sure. if it is slivering. that goes away in the sun. that tends to happen more with cheap laminate. try 3m 8508

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

spooledUP7

Just a few rules of thumb to go by:
  • Make sure your laminate feed roll is taught. Loose feed swill result in an uneven marks and sometimes wrinkles. This tension will change as the diameter decreases so you need to always be on it.
  • Make sure the print feed is taught. Silvering, wrinkles and irregular marks can occur when the material doesn't have resistance while going in.
  • Raise your nip rollers away from each other when not using it. I am guilty of not doing this, but my guess is that with a cheaper laminator the nip rollers may be more prone to flat spots which could cause a line every rotation.
Otherwise without a photo it's hard to tell what you've got going on.