• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

First time to print onto 20oz Banner - need heat settings help!

JayVal

Hi everyone,

I use a Mimaki CJV30-160, and I normally print on 13oz - 15oz scrim banner material. We ordered a 20oz banner for a customer and I don't know if it would be okay to keep the current temperature settings. Pre 30 | Prt 30 | Post 42 (all set by the gentleman who previously owned the machine). Anyone experienced with these thicker banner material? Because the material is thicker, do I need to set my temperatures higher?

Thanks in advance!

Jay

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
You want to set the heat settings as high as they will go without the material buckling. It takes a little trial and error. Make sure the head is in high head height as well. The settings you have set right now would be considered low for the most part but everyone's environment and materials will be different. I would say you could probably get away with PRE:36 PRT:40 and Post: 50. I always have the post set to 50 as it does not cause buckling like the others and it helps the ink dry faster.

JayVal

You want to set the heat settings as high as they will go without the material buckling. It takes a little trial and error. Make sure the head is in high head height as well. The settings you have set right now would be considered low for the most part but everyone's environment and materials will be different. I would say you could probably get away with PRE:36 PRT:40 and Post: 50. I always have the post set to 50 as it does not cause buckling like the others and it helps the ink dry faster.

Awesome! Thanks for the reply. I will try that. I can't do too much trial and error, because I have around 1' extra material... so one mistake can be costly. Is this the temperature settings you use for heavier weight material? Or do you also use this for 13oz/15oz material?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Normally on regular vinyl I am between 33 and 40 on the pre and print heat settings. So for a thicker banner you should be able to up the heat compared to regular vinyl.

CanuckSigns

Awesome! Thanks for the reply. I will try that. I can't do too much trial and error, because I have around 1' extra material... so one mistake can be costly. Is this the temperature settings you use for heavier weight material? Or do you also use this for 13oz/15oz material?
Did you only order 1' more than what you needed? if you ordered from a place that cuts down from larger rolls and sells to you by the yard/foot, I hate to tell ya but you will end up short, digital materials need to be very clean, any grease from fingerprints, dust from the floor etc will ruin the print, you will want to throw away the outer layer of material when you get it as it will be dirty, that right there is almost a foot.

JayVal

Did you only order 1' more than what you needed? if you ordered from a place that cuts down from larger rolls and sells to you by the yard/foot, I hate to tell ya but you will end up short, digital materials need to be very clean, any grease from fingerprints, dust from the floor etc will ruin the print, you will want to throw away the outer layer of material when you get it as it will be dirty, that right there is almost a foot.

I wish I were the one who ordered it. I would have added an extra 6'. But I was told I have about 1'-2' extra... so I'm just going to assume 1' as worst possible scenario.