• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

First Vinyl Business

Joseph Dunkle

Hey everybody! Just joined today, opened my own shop last week. I work at a car audio shop and started playing with the owners plotter one day. I've always liked working on PC's designing stuff.

Bought a 32" plotter and a cop of Flexi and now I'm learning how to use it all

Well I got to get back to reading tips on the forum.

WVB

:Welcome: 2 :signs101: Joseph...

Your situation is exactly how I got started back in 93'. I was a manager of a car stereo / performance shop and the owner got his hands on a cutter and CASmate. Threw it in my lap, and said I need you to learn this. The rest was history...

smullen

Joseph Dunkle said:
Hey everybody! Just joined today, opened my own shop last week. I work at a car audio shop and started playing with the owners plotter one day. I've always liked working on PC's designing stuff.

Bought a 32" plotter and a cop of Flexi and now I'm learning how to use it all

Well I got to get back to reading tips on the forum.

Welcome, You can lean a lot here... This place is the best resouce I have found out there....

Are you running out of your house or did you open a front???

Sign Guy

Congrats and welcome on starting a new business. I started 2 years ago under similar circumstances I own a performance engine shop and had some customers asking where others were going to get their cars lettered. I thought I will buy the equipment and see what I can develop doing race cars. Well long story short the first year I did 20 cars and some assorted work and charged what I knew others were paying to get their cars done. I now have brought a partner in who is doing all the work and all I now do is sales and this year we are only doing 15 cars but have a backload of work. Hope things go as well for youa s it has for me.
Bob

rockongraphix

:Welcome: joseph 2:signs101:

Started 3 year ago , and word of mouth sales are the best.Customer keep on coming .

Michael
Rockongraphix

Marlene

Good luck! There is a lot of good info here. Ask for help if you need anything, there is always a member or more that can help.

Lane Booth

Congrats on starting your own shop, and welcome. I,m new here also and just started my own business. Soooo much information here it's incredible!!!
:Coffee:

smullen

Joseph Dunkle said:
Smullen, I am working out of a car audio shop.

What is the best way to let other businesses know about your's?

The two ways I can think of are... Flyers... Make some hand them out to any and all businesses that you think are potential customers...
Also, Personal Netowrking and a bit of cold calling... Get yourself some sort of a Port Folio, to show what you have done and can do... Talk to some people, telling them what you can do almost building them the need for your product then more or less ask for the sale...
I have not done any advertiesment yet and 100% of my business so far has been from word of mouth or from me striking up a conversation with a potential customer, telling them what I can do for them then asking if they want to go ahead and do something...