Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Vinyl Business

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Joseph Dunkle, May 21, 2005.

1. Joseph Dunkle

Joseph Dunkle Active Member

May 21, 2005
    Hey everybody! Just joined today, opened my own shop last week. I work at a car audio shop and started playing with the owners plotter one day. I've always liked working on PC's designing stuff.

Bought a 32" plotter and a cop of Flexi and now I'm learning how to use it all

Well I got to get back to reading tips on the forum.

Tags:
  2. Decal_Designs

Decal_Designs Member

May 10, 2003
    Fox Lake
    Welcome Joseph!

You'll learn a lot here at :signs101:

3. WVB

WVB Very Active Member

Feb 25, 2005
    :Welcome: 2 :signs101: Joseph...

Your situation is exactly how I got started back in 93'. I was a manager of a car stereo / performance shop and the owner got his hands on a cutter and CASmate. Threw it in my lap, and said I need you to learn this. The rest was history...

4. smullen

smullen Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Welcome, You can lean a lot here... This place is the best resouce I have found out there....

Are you running out of your house or did you open a front???

5. dynawg

dynawg Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Welcome...

Lots to read, lots to learn, lots of really talented people to learn from!

6. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    :Welcome: 2 :signs101: Joseph.

Best of luck with your new business.

7. Leondo

Leondo Member

May 17, 2005
    :Welcome:

I hope to open my own shop one day to, this forum is the best place for advise. :thumb:

8. Sign Guy

Sign Guy Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Congrats and welcome on starting a new business. I started 2 years ago under similar circumstances I own a performance engine shop and had some customers asking where others were going to get their cars lettered. I thought I will buy the equipment and see what I can develop doing race cars. Well long story short the first year I did 20 cars and some assorted work and charged what I knew others were paying to get their cars done. I now have brought a partner in who is doing all the work and all I now do is sales and this year we are only doing 15 cars but have a backload of work. Hope things go as well for youa s it has for me.
    Bob

9. rockongraphix

rockongraphix Member

Mar 17, 2005
    :Welcome: joseph 2:signs101:

Started 3 year ago , and word of mouth sales are the best.Customer keep on coming .

Michael
    Rockongraphix

10. Joseph Dunkle

Joseph Dunkle Active Member

May 21, 2005
    Smullen, I am working out of a car audio shop.

What is the best way to let other businesses know about your's?

11. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    Good luck! There is a lot of good info here. Ask for help if you need anything, there is always a member or more that can help.

12. Lane Booth

Lane Booth Member

May 18, 2005
    Congrats on starting your own shop, and welcome. I,m new here also and just started my own business. Soooo much information here it's incredible!!!
    :Coffee:

13. Git-R-Done

Git-R-Done Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Welcome and congrats on starting your own shop. That's really :cool1: ! Have fun with it.

14. smullen

smullen Member

Aug 12, 2004
    The two ways I can think of are... Flyers... Make some hand them out to any and all businesses that you think are potential customers...
    Also, Personal Netowrking and a bit of cold calling... Get yourself some sort of a Port Folio, to show what you have done and can do... Talk to some people, telling them what you can do almost building them the need for your product then more or less ask for the sale...
    I have not done any advertiesment yet and 100% of my business so far has been from word of mouth or from me striking up a conversation with a potential customer, telling them what I can do for them then asking if they want to go ahead and do something...

15. Son Signs

Son Signs Member

Jan 25, 2005
    Welcome and enjoy the people here, they're a big help!

16. James Chrimes

James Chrimes Very Active Member

Jul 4, 2005
    NEWPORT NH
    Good To Know I Just Got A Six Disc Cd Changer I Might Need Some Advice. Will Keep You Posted.