• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

First wrap design..need help

JMGraphix

Hey guys
I'm new to this forum and decided to join cause i saw how helpful everyone is.
So here is the situation...
I have design a wrap for a box truck. I finalized my sketch in photoshop, when i ran into a problem with file sizes???
one of my coworkers advised me that i should lay the design out full size at 300 DPI, this of course makes the file mega-tron big and takes about 30 min to save...plus my drop shadows on my text dont look as good at this size.
Another person tolled me to make the file half of what the final was, and at 300 DPI.
I really need some expert advice... whats yall's opinion

:doh:

jc1cell

I like to work my files in a Illy combining vectors and pixel based images. Always work the layout at 10% of final size personally, giving a 720dpi resolution to effects and imported pixel images. It's just a matter of sending it through the rip at 1000%.

jc

Letterbox Mike

I like to work my files in a Illy combining vectors and pixel based images. Always work the layout at 10% of final size personally, giving a 720dpi resolution to effects and imported pixel images. It's just a matter of sending it through the rip at 1000%.

jc

+1, or design at full size at 72ppi. 300ppi at full size is ridiculous, as is 150ppi. Almost all wraps are printed at 72-75ppi, 100ppi at most but even that's overkill in my opinion. If it looks good at 100% on screen, it'll look the same when printed.

Border

Bottom line is if the final output is going to print at 72-75dpi and at 100% scale, it will look great. Anything more is usually overkill and not even noticeable at those sizes.

From there' it's pretty easy to scale down the initial design size while upping the resolution ratio.

100% scale @ 75 dpi
50% scale @ 150 dpi
25% scale @ 300 dpi
10 % scale @ 750 dpi

JR's

Bottom line is if the final output is going to print at 72-75dpi and at 100% scale, it will look great. Anything more is usually overkill and not even noticeable at those sizes.

From there' it's pretty easy to scale down the initial design size while upping the resolution ratio.

100% scale @ 75 dpi
50% scale @ 150 dpi
25% scale @ 300 dpi
10 % scale @ 750 dpi

that is good info Border :thumb: :thumb:

JR

cptcorn

adad
I usually design at 100ppi to 150ppi depending upon the size of the vehicle at 1:1 or 100% scale.

If you want your drop shadows to be larger than what you can make with the fx button, you make a selection of the art you want a drop shadow on, and expand that selection by 20, 50, 100, or what ever pixels, fill it with black, or what ever other respective color you want and then use the Gaussian blur filter to your liking. Then move it bit, and you have a better drop shadow.

k6media

We've done a whole variety of test prints at different resolutions... we design all vehicle wraps at 72dpi because in all honesty the difference in quality when its outputted at 150DPI or 72DPI is extremely minor. Your file sizes will be massive designed at a higher resolution full size...