• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

First wrap - Mercedes Sprinter van.

Zoom

Hey all!

So I'm completely new to the site and to wrapping. I've been reading the threads on wrapping Sprinters and deep channels and I feel like I'm ready to give this a try with my own vehicle with a matte or satin grey on the body and gloss black in the recess areas where windows are located on passenger vans.

My quesion, is if the 3M 1080 vinyl is the right choice for this job? There are so many versions that it's difficult to figure out which one has the most stretch to it. I've mostly chosen this vinyl because it's readily available.

For background: I used to paint cars - a skill that I taught myself in the days before youtube videos. I painted my first car when I was 14 years old. I started learning by reading books and articles on the subject and I gave it a lot of thought and practice runs in my head, then I practiced until I became good at it. I'm looking to get into the wrap business and I plan to go about it in the same way that I got into painting cars. It's an atypical approach, but it's one that's been very successful and rewarding for me in life. I do realize that there are other more typical ways to go about things, I just prefer to jump in and perfect my craft as I go.

Thanks for any input on the wrap selection! This forum has been a great resource to read through with many insightful postings and videos shared.
:peace!:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
School of Hard Knocks, is sometimes the best way to learn anything. Good luck, you'll get it.

There are a few really good vehicle wrappers in these waters, with these sprinters under their belt. Hopefully, they will give you some assistance. :rock-n-roll:

T_K

Wraps are one of the things you've got to learn through experience. Gaining knowledge before touching the vinyl definitely helps, but you've got to develop a feel for working with it. There's a lot of muscle memory to develop. I'm training a couple of guys now on laying down vinyl, and it's amazing how much I do without realizing it anymore.

I've never done the color change wraps before. Just printed wraps. From what I've heard from others, color change is a whole different animal. Good luck.

boxerbay

sprinters deep recessed areas are the hardest thing to wrap so dont get frustrated. it not easy even for the pros. 3M1080 is the best.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
If your doing an inlay on the windows it will make it a lot easier. Do NOT cut the vinyl on the vehicle, yours or a customers. It takes years of practice not to cut the paint and even then there is no guarantee. There are too many variables; temperature, type of vinyl, knife blades, and knife blade condition... Get yourself a roll of Knifeless tape, watch a few videos and practice first.

If you are going to wrap the window channels watch Richie's Wrap It Right video about Deep Channel Wrapping. He does the best job explaining it. I do it a little differently but the concept is the same.

Keep in mind when you heat and stretch vinyl, you're stretching the adhesive as well. That leaves less adhesive to keep the vinyl from shrinking back to it's original state. Research post heating as well. By heating the installed vinyl to 200 to 220c you will reduce the vinyl's memory and let the adhesive flow building maximum bond.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Boy that's a trial by fire...first wrap being a Sprinter. You'd think it'd be easy (big flat sides).....think again.

Zoom

You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the positive feedback. I'll go with the 1080 material. I'll post up some pictures of how it turns out.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
We use a primer for all the divots and such. A self lighting blow torch comes in handy too.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Please for the sake of our industry, don't use primer on every edge and small curve. Only use it where the vinyl was stretched 20% or more. I hate doing removals and finding primer everywhere. A 1/4" wide brush is fine. If you think you need a 1" or larger brush your in the wrong industry. Become a painter.