• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fitting an encoder disc to a VJ1604

leerees

OK,

After trying to get the scratches of my encoder disc with cleaning fluid ive totally ruined it, now i cant print at all without getting e071

I've just ordered a new one and was wondering if anybody can give me a step by step on how to remove the old one and fit the new one.

thanks

heyskull

Lee

I was going to message you before Christmas but it got a bit mad here.

You will probably find that it is not just the encoder wheel but where it's situated in the sensor.
I have found that in the centre of the encoder disc there is a modification which is probably not fitted to yours (it wasn't on mine) which keeps the disc centred when you tighten the 2 screws.

Here's what you do to remove the encoder disc:-
Remove the side panel off
Remove the 2 screws which hold the plastic sheel to the x shaft.
Remove the 4 screws on the disc and take of the plastic disc.
You should be able to remove the encoder disc now.

Fitting is the reverse of removal!

But please ensure the encoder wheel is positioned closer to the inner guides and when rotating it does not touch the sensor on either side (this is what makes it jump position giving the e071 error.

I have managed to get mine working by putting a bit of vinyl in between the housing and the sensor to move it away from the encoder disc as it was touching.
I have since worked out the fix is by adjusting the short part of the x axis but the 4 allen studs are ridiculously tight and I can't find a decent set of allen keys to adjust this!

So mine is running OK at the moment but it is because I have moved the sensor out away from the disc.

Please don't operate the machine if you can't get the disc to rotate without not touching either side of the encoder as it will damage another encoder disc.

SC

SE SignSupply

Not sure if it's the same but on a 1204/1304 you can also adjust the position of the sensor from left to right. It is held on by 1 screw on the bracket.

Ryan

heyskull

It should be the same on the 1604!
Have you any pictures of the 1 screw and bracket?
I can't find any adjustment

Thanks
SC

SE SignSupply

It should be the same on the 1604!
Have you any pictures of the 1 screw and bracket?
I can't find any adjustment

Thanks
SC

Sorry, I don't. If it's the same it is very simple. Only one screw, loosen, then it should move in or out on the encoder wheel.

Ryan