• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fix for Summa- Not completing First Cut.

Jburns

An Archive Thread saved my cutter: http://www.signs101.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-6483.html

If your Summa is not completing the cut on the first shape, please check this tiny foam bump stop for the solenoid: I replaced mine and it worked terrific. It was hanging up on the screw, preventing the light downward initial movement. Hopefully this will help someone else!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

After replacing Foam with soft side of Velcro:

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1174.jpg
    IMG_1174.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 813
  • IMG_1177.jpg
    IMG_1177.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 609
  • IMG_1152.jpg
    IMG_1152.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 588
  • IMG_1175.jpg
    IMG_1175.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 658

letterman7

I'll add to that. Different series cutters have the different heads. My T series head is completely different. But, that initial thread link helped with the dental rubber bands, but I was still getting some skips in the beginning. So, upon further investigation on the head, I took a second look at this:

attachment.php

The portion on top of the solenoid. Initially, mine was turned to the two braille dot. Wondering "I wonder what this does?" mode, I turned that cap to the single braille dot and instantly pre-loaded the solenoid a little more. That seemed to solve the issue instantly. We'll see - I'll have a text laden cut job set up for next week.

Attachments

• 20160701_143726.jpg
    20160701_143726.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 709

FrankW

This is the Servo Motor turning the knife in cutting direction. What you've manipulated is the encoder of this motor. Not shure what could happen now, but I would switch back before plotting larger jobs.

This part have NOTHING to do with knife up and downs, so nothing to do too with missing cut lines. And before continuing playing around with that head, be aware of that this parts are extremely expensive. In earlier times, when just this little motor can be bought separately, this little motor alone costs more than $400. Today, replacing the head on a summasign is a economical total loss.

Lifting the knife up and down is the job is job of the electric magnet on the left side of the head. But as soon as this problems appear, there are no easy solution for that.

letterman7

Yep, you're absolutely right Frank. I didn't catch that when I was looking at the motor/servo. I'm going to try a complex cut over the weekend.. it seemed to cure the issue with a quick check plot, so we'll see what happens. I can't see a $1500 head being an economic loss on these machines when a brand new T series with OPOS is over $8500... an economic loss are printheads on Mutohs... :)

David Wright

Had this problem many years ago on my Summa Sign Pro tnagential.
Someone here advised using a simple rubber O ring on plotter head .
Problem has not come back.

letterman7

Did that. Hasn't solved all of the problems. My plotter is pushing 18 years old, so I think it's just wearing out.. finally. Still, a replacement head is far cheaper than a new machine, I just don't know if the new heads are retrofittable to the old plotters.

FrankW

A plotter of 18 years has a value of a few hundred bucks. A modern S-Class has functional advantages too ... even a modern SummaCut have functional advantages. A new Mutoh printer, by the way, cost much more than a new printhead too :smile:

letterman7

That's about what I'm finding. I don't mind that, it doesn't look like a difficult install. The weird thing that almost makes me think it's a software issue (or firmware) is that, at least on mine, it only 'skips' when in drag knife mode. Switch to tangential and everything cuts perfectly. Might have to call Summa tech this coming week to see if we can figure it out or if it's easier to get a new head - if they have one that fits!