• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fixing bubbles/tenting...

dbxfrance

Fixing bubbles that appear 48 hours after application...

Hi Everyone,

Wrapped up a Volkswagen van and 48 hours post-wrap we're getting small bubbles/tenting in some of the deeper channels/recesses.

This is the first time in a while I've had bubbling and it's with a material we don't use often (Hexis V200GW1) so I don't know it's characteristics that well.

Anyone have experience with it?

To fix, usually I pierce the bubbles, gently heat, work it firmly with felt squeeges, and then post heat the affected area thoroughly. By piercing the bubble the vinyl shrinks a bit around the hole which isn't ideal, but I worry that without piercing it will come back up again. Do you do anything different?

(FYI: We did properly prep with manufacturer pre-cleaner and final cleaner as well as post heating the stretched areas on initial application - the bubbles are only in a handful of areas and the rest seems to be holding fine.)

Photos attached.

1 & 2 - general views
3 - a few of the bubbles
4 - the worst one

Attachments

• 2gncO.jpg
    2gncO.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 102
  • VMFSt.jpg
    VMFSt.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 101
  • luKT3.jpg
    luKT3.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 79
  • XqUIF.jpg
    XqUIF.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 72
Last edited by a moderator:

rjssigns

Even with proper prep there may be something that is bleeding out of the paint causing issues. The other thing is maybe there are drop-outs where there is little to no adhesive.

Vehicle could have gotten splashed with brake fluid or a silicone based product.

I paint cars and motorcycles and have had "issues" because something continues to bleed out of the metal. And I use cleaners/stripping agents that will take your hide off. I eventually kill the problem, but it takes forever.

g&eprinting

Since you already poked a hole see if you can inject some glue in there..

Looks like a real good design. Liking the colors. Can we see the whole thing?

HulkSmash

try working into channels while installing..
rather than tenting, and then pressuring into channels.

Last edited:
J

john1

lol even with those little imperfections it looks better than any of the wraps around my area haha

wedosigns

I agree with Coloradosigns. Work it in to the channels next time.
I would think the air egress is long gone since it has been on for 48 hours, so working it out is not an option. When you are "piercing" a hole to allow the air to escape, make sure it is with a air release tool not a knife. Only use enough heat to get it back down. I would then tape over the hole before post heating. Hopefully that would prevent the hole from getting bigger.

dbxfrance

rather than tenting, and then pressuring into channels.

Not sure what you mean .. ? (Message cut-off, maybe?)

Even with proper prep there may be something that is bleeding out of the paint causing issues. The other thing is maybe there are drop-outs where there is little to no adhesive.

Vehicle could have gotten splashed with brake fluid or a silicone based product.

I paint cars and motorcycles and have had "issues" because something continues to bleed out of the metal. And I use cleaners/stripping agents that will take your hide off. I eventually kill the problem, but it takes forever.

Yeah, maybe we missed getting 100% of the pre-cleaner off in those spots which would be about the same effect as brake fluid... Or possibly or didn't linger long enough on the post-heat on those spots...

Anyway, I nuked the affected areas with heat and pressed down like hell. The alarming thing is that some water looked like it came out of the holes. Bizarre. Anyway, the vinyl shrunk back a bit around the pinholes so I'll need to to put some small patches, but hopefully it'll stay down.

Do you guys have a general cut-off point on when things will "stay as is"... i.e. if after 72 hours no more bubbles, odds are it's good to go?

lol even with those little imperfections it looks better than any of the wraps around my area haha

:lol

Since you already poked a hole see if you can inject some glue in there..

Looks like a real good design. Liking the colors. Can we see the whole thing?

Thanks.. :thumb: And sure, here's the in-progress design :

Attachments

• DRG8T.jpg
    DRG8T.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 77
  • CHIxk.jpg
    CHIxk.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 82
  • CSxon.jpg
    CSxon.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 83
Last edited by a moderator:

Patentagosse

All my jobs run out of the shop perfect but 6 months after, they all show similar bubbles as you report. So I questioned myself what's wrong with the installation process. 'Asked others at sign shows, 'looked around to other wrap jobs I can look upclose to find out it's "normal issue". I'm still trying to find a "perfect job" that holds on good after a certain period of time. I know there are many better installers than me out there but still think nothing's perfect. I'm referring to complex jobs here (like Sprinters and other challenging ones), not the Ford Econoline-like...

Billct2

rather than tenting, and then pressuring into channels
He means you apply from one side of the channel, work in down and into the channel then up and out the other side. Not lay the vinyl flat over the channel and heat/push it into place.