• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

FJ 740 head problem... first clogged now... burned?

boggiom72

I had a head clogged about 50%...

After many powerful wash I soaked the head in a warm distilled water/cleaning fluid solution, I did it with the head still in place, approaching the head from the bottom with a tiny container filled with the solution...

Still nothing...

I then took the damper out and attached a syringe where the damper insert in the head...

With little pressure I was able to have water running... I did it where the other damper attach too...

Now unfortunately nothing fires anymore...

Did i burned the head?
If yes should I have an error message? Everything run smoothly electronically but the head just do not fire...

I have another head which was damaged with a bad scratch...
Could I eventually mix the chip of one head with the metal part of the one damaged today?

Thanks a lot for any advices... :banghead:

I had a head clogged about 50%...

After many powerful wash I soaked the head in a warm distilled water/cleaning fluid solution, I did it with the head still in place, approaching the head from the bottom with a tiny container filled with the solution...

Still nothing...

I then took the damper out and attached a syringe where the damper insert in the head...

With little pressure I was able to have water running... I did it where the other damper attach too...

Now unfortunately nothing fires anymore...

Did i burned the head?
If yes should I have an error message? Everything run smoothly electronically but the head just do not fire...

I have another head which was damaged with a bad scratch...
Could I eventually mix the chip of one head with the metal part of the one damaged today?

Thanks a lot for any advices... :banghead:

Mixing water with solvent cleaning solution would be a really bad idea, and will likely cause gelling inside of the printhead. More than likely the head is now as you say burned. Don't ever mix water and solvent compounds in the same ink train system.

player

As far as mixing the heads, there are rank numbers, which is a calibration done to the head on a special machine. If you screw around with parts that make the rank calibration incorrect, you may find it won't print very well. If the head is ruined though, it could be worth a try.

I would try to clean out the jelly head. Is the printer solvent or water based? Just don't get too forceful as there are delicate membranes and stuff that can be damaged by pressures. I would try to go the other way, from the bottom out the top, using the caps to clean the jelly head.

boggiom72

Mixing water with solvent cleaning solution would be a really bad idea, and will likely cause gelling inside of the printhead. More than likely the head is now as you say burned. Don't ever mix water and solvent compounds in the same ink train system.

My printer is water based. The cleaning solution is waterbased and supposed to be mix with water.
There is no solvent involved anywhere. Just a cleaning solution.

boggiom72

As far as mixing the heads, there are rank numbers, which is a calibration done to the head on a special machine. If you screw around with parts that make the rank calibration incorrect, you may find it won't print very well. If the head is ruined though, it could be worth a try.

I would try to clean out the jelly head. Is the printer solvent or water based? Just don't get too forceful as there are delicate membranes and stuff that can be damaged by pressures. I would try to go the other way, from the bottom out the top, using the caps to clean the jelly head.

The printer is waterbased, there is no jelly at all...

I'm afraid that was my mistake... I was so happily impressed with the nice flow of water in and out... I may have applied too much pressure... So I probably damaged the membranes? But shouldnt this stop my nice flow of water? I did it in both direction and it was fine!!!

Thx

El Barto

Are you sure there's ink in the system up to the head? Dampers full? Any time I pull an ink line I usually have to suck ink all the way back through and run a powerful clean or two. You say the last think you did was pull the dampers off, so I'd definitely start by pulling ink back through the system via the caps.

artbot

+1

do you see ink coming through during the fill ink cycles in the cap?

if not,

i definitely on pulling from the waste line vs the menu. when putting back a dx4 head you can very often get vapor lock and the head will not pull ink strongly enough. also there's the usual suspects like your caps are sealing etc.

(and just the slightest amount of pressure can collapse the interior of the head. it's made of some extremely brittle graphite color metal plates that direct the ink to the jets)