• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

FLA unearthed multiple violations of the labor law at Apple factories

FatCat

Whether it's Apple or any other company,I think you're living in a bubble if you don't believe that the majority of Chinese "factories" are exactly like the sweatshops we had here in the USA back in the late 1800's.

*You do realize all the cheap banner material and many other sign-related goods we use on a day to day basis are also manufactured in China on the backs of mistreated Chinese workers, right?

visual800

Gotta agree, along with alot of our other crappy products. those people live to work. I noticed when they built the Hyundai plant here in Montgomery (and pay no taxes thanks to our kneepad wearing mayor ah hum) they will build that place with accomodations and make it so if yuou cant leave you are fine. I personally think it is sick to have that mentality of live to work BUT that is what the US likes to do. Order cheap chinese crap!

I would actually be interested to know if Apple really cared I dont beieve a damn thing I read either. Everything is such a feel good writing these days.

Circleville Signs

Wonder if that "factory" would exist if Apple wasn't around.

Sure would. Foxxconn existed long before apple became and client and will long after Apple is no longer a client. Instead of getting you fairness panties in a bunch, do some research. I'd venture to guess that Foxxconn made components for 80% of the electronics in your house.

CES020

I think I'm going to move to China and work for Foxconn. These "unacceptable" working hours over there look pretty sweet to me.....

"The supplier will bring working hours in line with the legal limit of 49 hours per week, including overtime."

Where do I sign up to work a max of 49 hours per week? :) Oh....the humanity........

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I think I'm going to move to China and work for Foxconn. These "unacceptable" working hours over there look pretty sweet to me.....

"The supplier will bring working hours in line with the legal limit of 49 hours per week, including overtime."

Where do I sign up to work a max of 49 hours per week? :) Oh....the humanity........

God that would be nice ... last week I totalled in at 63 hours and that is a low hour week. When can I move to china too!?!

2972renfro

That story would not have made the news had the title been labeled with another computer manufacturer. It has been said many times before, Foxconn makes parts for dozens of other computer and electronics companies. Do you really think that another Foxconn division is any different? They do work for many major computer companies - Dell, HP, Intel, Toshiba, Sony, Microsoft. I bet you would not have posted this story if apple was not mentioned

A billion people in that country and probably 3/4 of our products in food, health and others are made there. I think there is far worse going on at thousands of other plants in China.

Multiple violations of the labor law in China??? Hard to believe

ForgeInc

Non-Story.

What IS a story though is the tool who wrote the Broadway show about Foxconn and apple, selling his story as non-fiction only to go on this American life and continue his lies. Later this American Life redacted their story as inaccurate after they uncovered a slew of inaccuracies and falsehoods regarding his version of events. Dude basically said "it's theatre" and he's trying to get people to care.

Douche.

genericname

Non-Story.

What IS a story though is the tool who wrote the Broadway show about Foxconn and apple, selling his story as non-fiction only to go on this American life and continue his lies. Later this American Life redacted their story as inaccurate after they uncovered a slew of inaccuracies and falsehoods regarding his version of events. Dude basically said "it's theatre" and he's trying to get people to care.

Douche.

Heard the apology story the other day. That guy came off like a cross between Michael Moore and Perez Hilton; a completely selfish egomaniac.

On topic, the CEO of Apple just visited Foxconn, actually. Haven't had time to read the story yet though. For all the flack they're getting, at least Apple realizes now that it's in their best interest to change things. Microsoft and Sony couldn't give a crap. It's far from the worst factory in China, but it seems like a good vehicle to improve things.

artbot

60 hour week! oh the horror... i've worked a couple 30+ hour days in the last few months. of course i get to be in the country, drink beer, and have my family near me all day. but that's beside the point. a sixty hour week is part-time around here.

and those images of people falling asleep at their stations? if you are falling asleep on the job, then you aren't doing it right.

RobbyMac

About 6 years ago when I was freelanceing for a diecast outfit, I attended a party where the Chinese factory owner was present (visiting the states). On a whim I asked him what sort of car he drives... he began to explain at great length, to my wife and I, how he has several mundane 'everyday' type vehicles. He uses a different one each day, and his driver takes him on random routes. This is to prevent him from being kidnapped and held for ransom, which apparently, was a big problem amongst company owners and their family members.

His 'factory' consists of a campus type facility, where the employees work and live in a dormitory. They aren't allowed to leave (unless fired, or quit), and the 'staff' will personally check each one who claims to be too sick to work on any given day.

Workers come from hundred of miles away to work in these facilities...

It was an enlightening conversation to say the least.

HulkSmash

Who cares? You keep posting this. Who is forcing them to work there? They're free to leave and work somewhere else...
You're making it sound like it's a prison. It's not.. it's a place of employment.