• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

FLAAR report on SEPIAX Ink

boggiom72

Thanks!

Thanks!
So forget HP then...
and not so clear this thing of the heating...
In my studio I have a blower heater...
You think I can just make a conduct that blows on the printer before and while printing? Or something more sophisticate seems necessary?
Thx!

boggiom72

sepiax ink possibilities

also...
sorry if I abuse yr knowledge...
Any epson means... I can put it in a old 9600 and see what happen?

Thx

artbot

i'd figure the dx2 would be a great choice if wanting to get started on a budget. wish this ink was around years ago when i was using my fj50. i was coating aluminum with synthetic gelatin back in the day.

boggiom72

sepiax ink possibilities

xcellent!
I can put my hands on a FJ740 for real cheap!!!
Oh no that's dx4... either wy should be good no?

Any idea how to test the heads properly?

Also any idea on the extra heating system?
Turtle's heat lamps? :scream:

artbot

if you want a bargain printer to get started, fj50's and fj52's are fantastic printers (print with free rips too). they are slow. but i highly recommend starting slow and cheap. there are so many more challenges other than just "printing" such as learning about color, file work, marketing, design, laminating, materials, etc. the printer in the beginning will not run very often when getting the rest of the stuff squared away. let a business justify a faster machine.

dx2 heads are below $200 US. dx4 heads are around $785 US. for heating, silicone heating blankets? heat cords used for plastic fabrication? the lamp seemed to be working fine on the video, but what kind of printer was it? water based or solvent?

NASIAS

FLOGAS DESIGN
I printed with my mutoh VJ 1304 with Sepiax inks.
These inks are great but a new heating system has to be fitted on printer so as to work properly and print a good work.
We liked Sepiax very much because it prints on anything ,no smell at all and very accurate printing ,as long as you will be able to heat your printing material.

artbot

did you have much issue going from solvent to sepiax? what was your cleaning/flushing protocol?

NASIAS

FLOGAS DESIGN
did you have much issue going from solvent to sepiax? what was your cleaning/flushing protocol?
My printer works with Eco solvent inks,but I used Sepiax when I installed it(first,it worked with Sepiax).
When the result did not satisfied me,my dealer/seller cleaned it for me and put eco solvent

AUTO-FX

this has nothing to do with cleaning/flushing, but for a general FYI - I called to talk with the guys out at GraphicsOne , and i got to a tech before a salesman. He said they dont have all that many sepiax printers out there right now, but what they do have is running very well. I got the impression they have more converted machines running sepiax than there own production machines. He said the only real drawback with sepiax is considerably slower print speeds due to the heating required, and i think he was talking like 30sq/hr. It's imperative that the media hit the optimal temp at the point where the ink is transferred. The other thing that was mentioned was DPI, desirable results are only at high resolution. I cant remember, but he might have said 720x720 wasnt high enough, output might appear grainey.

MachServTech

After reading the FLARR report I am disappointing to see very little mention of replaceable print heads in the HP L25500 and the low cost of the latex ink. These two factors alone make the latex ink worth my while. I really despise replacing solvent printheads, performing alignments and maintaining solvent printers. I wonder what the maintenance issues are with sepiax. I was hoping for a more qualitative comparison between the two types of ink and their associated machines, but it seemed more like a "sponsored" opinion.

I hope that I can convert my remaining solvent printers over to sepiax, but I will have to wait for a less "sponsored" opinion before making an educated decision.

Anyone have personal experience with the sepiax?

tbaker

Because I don't want to potentially smash anyone's ego, PM me and I'll fill you in on the horror story I have with this particular ink, and a JV3 conversion.

CustomRide

Because I don't want to potentially smash anyone's ego, PM me and I'll fill you in on the horror story I have with this particular ink, and a JV3 conversion.

Have you not read other post here? Everyone on signs101 is 10ft tall and bulletproof...go ahead share the story:thumb:

tbaker

would it be enough to say, I've been in the industry since the very first large format printers were released, I've been a service tech for quite a while, and if someone gave me the system for free and promised me free ink for life, I'd put it aside and say "No thanks"?

briankb

Premium Subscriber
So tbaker what is the horror story with your JV3 to Sepiax ink conversion?

Last edited:

genericname

I'm willing to bet it has more to do with the "JV3 conversion" part, than the "Sepiax" part.

You have to question someone who would leave us fishing like this.