• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flag Pole Installation

dlndesign

I am just wondering if anyone has installed a 50' or greater flagpole. I just need to get some input on the steps to move forward with a project like this.

Thanks.

i installed one about 15yrs ago as part of a sign package for a corporate headquarters. it was pretty straight forward. there was a receiving sleeve that was provided by the manufacturing company that was set in the ground ( a hole was dug prior for the cement footing) but before the cement was poured the sleeve was set in the hole. ... cement was poured around the sleeve and allowed to setup and then a flange slipped over the top of the sleeve and had a few bolts to tighten down and then the various sections of pole were installed. installation of the halyard and pullies were all real straight forward.

there are many kits out there, i wouldnt try to mickey mouse something when there are many solutions on the market.

dlndesign

I am having a company manufacture it for me, but my main concern is engineering and permitting, this project is in San Diego if anyone has worked on a flagpole install in Southern California lately, I'd like to hear what you needed to go through with the city.

Thanks

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
First, you need a contractors license, no contractors license, no go... then you check the code to see what is allowed. Is there a sign program for the area? Is this a leased building or is he the owner... if he leases then he might need the owners written permission as part of the submittal. In this case, you might even take a trip over to the city with the drawing and preliminary submittal to see if there are going to be any issues. The pole manufacturer should not make anything until the engineering is done. They can supply you with the pole recommendation, then you send that to the engineer for calculations and wet stamp. After it is signed off by the city should you have the post made.

Rick

I forgot to make it clear, you need a C13/Fencing Contractor license to contract this type of work.

daveb

General Know-it-all
Buy the flag pole from an actual flag pole manufacturer, they'll actually provide you with all the tech drawings you need for the engineer to check over (this is not their first rodeo) if you tell them your location they'll probably know what you'll need for permitting. http://www.united-states-flag.com we just resently installed a memorial that had 12 poles of varying lengths from 20' to 40'. I would highly recommend using a manufacturer that knows what they're doing, they've already done what your trying to do thousands of times. Kind of like hiring a sign "professional". Go to the professionals. And you use concrete around the sleeve and "sand" around the socket believe it or not. Just follow their installation instructions. Just my $.02:cool:

dlndesign

I am working with Eder Flag Company, they know there stuff. So I feel I am in good hands, Rick, thanks for the info I'll double check my installer has that. Also, I have the engineering information or at least that is what I think I have, if you could look at this and let me know. I'm still a newbie in this area. Once I get the drawing and the plan/elevation done I'd like to get some opinions on it to verify this is correct. I am having a hell of a time trying to get the city to get back to me with that information and i can't seem to find it online.

Thanks.

Attachments

• ~LWF0008.pdf
    262.4 KB · Views: 154

Rick

The problem you will have is you can NOT contract this flagpole legally without YOU having the contractors license.

Hopefully the city will stop you before any damage is done or are you going to have your installer pull the permit since he has the contractors license? Don't take his word for it, there is an online database where you can search if it is active..

So, say you sell the flagpole to this guy, you have a contract, have it installed, when its time to get paid, he does not have to pay you. Take him to court, the judge will ask, do you have a contractors license (they will not care if your installer does) Then the other legal crap....

Directly from the State Contractors board...
Contracting without a license is usually a misdemeanor, carrying a potential sentence
of up to six months in jail and/or a $500 fine, and a potential administrative fine of
$200 to $15,000. Subsequent violations increase criminal penalties; if there is a prior
conviction for contracting without a license, a fine of 20 percent of the contract price
of the work performed, or a $4500 fine shall be imposed. Also, the unlicensed
contractor shall be confined to jail for no less than 90 days.
Felony charges may be filed against those who contract without a license for any
project that is covered by a state of emergency or disaster proclaimed by the Governor
of California or the President of the United States. Felony convictions may result in a
state prison term as specified by the court.