• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flat Bed Printer

S

Sign-Man Signs

We're looking into to leasing a flat bed printer. Any suggestions? We like the Mutoh line. Any insight as to ink cost? Cost to run a 4 x 8 coroplast? Bulk ink systems?

Mikea

I don't have a recommendation of what you should buy, but I can tell you what not to buy: HP/Colorspan 5440uv. I have had it since Sept and it hasn't worked properly for more than a few days without having to call tech support. They have sent in techs multiple times and replaced at least $20K worth of parts, some more than once. It still doesn't work.

They are now telling me that it can't print 4x8 sheets of Alumalite. That was the one of the main reasons I bought it.

I know of at least 4 machines they have replaced, so they are probably a lot more.

What do the tables on the Mutoh look like? They need to be solid (I found out later); the HP is pretty flimsy and has a maximum rating of 35 pounds.

Good luck.
Mike

SignManiac

Stay away from the HP/Colorspan 5440uv series or any hybrid that used pinch rollers as the feed mechanism.

I'm not sure how reliable the new gerber solara ion will be but its a true flatbed and thats the direction I would go today if I had it to do all over again.

ChiknNutz

Though I am far from an expert, just slightly informed, but it seems the better flatbeds have a gantry that moves over the substrate. The new Ion is this way, plus it has a totally separate printer for roll mat'l. The price of $90k is beyond our reach at the moment, but that price-point seems to be about where you start getting into a pretty good machine...not to mention another $8k/yr for a service plan! The thing I'm not so sure about with the Mutoh is that it is not a UV ink, but just another eco-solvent type of ink. Not having actually seen this machine in action or obtained any samples, I can't really say if this is a bad thing.

steveimage

If Coroplast is your main substrate you need careful if you decide to purchase a uv curing device. From what I have seen, most of the available ink has issues with adhesion to low surface energy materials like polypropylene (from which Coroplast is made). Also, check with the manufacturer about whether the humidity in FL will create problems with printing because I have heard of this also.

This may sound a bit self-serving but we have a used printer for sale that prints well on coroplast. It uses low cost solvent ink rather than uv curing. My company uses both types of technology and while the uv cure ink works great on foamboard, gator and media like that the solvent ink is better for Coroplast.

I hope this helps. For any additional information email me at stephen@imggrp.com.

signage

I saw a sample from the Gerber Ion printed on Coroplast and it was bent/folded and the ink stayed and didn't crack!

wrapmyride

mutoh zephyr

Hi there,

i saw this thread was pretty dated, in the meanwhile did anybody buy a zephyr and can he tell me if he's glad with that choice?
We're looking for a uv-printer to print dibond and forex in small ammounts and roll to roll printing.

Thanks for the answers.

MArcel.

seaserpent

Gerber Ion - YES

We've had the Gerber Ion X for over a year now and absolutely love it. Sticks to coro fantastically and lasts outdoors just like new for the year we've been printing. There have been some machine issues which Gerber has been quick to service and replace parts as needed. Can't beat their service. The ink cost has come down because the consumption rate has gone down with firmware upgrades. We are looking to buy a second machine.

hotprinter

72uvx problems

We have a 72uvx printer that is now about 3 years old and the print quality has gotten bad, mainly on coroplast. The blue heads are not printing well and leaving all sorts of over spray on the coro. HP has given us a price of $1500 per head per color (4 heads per color) so to replace only the blue would be $6000. If we knew that would fix it we would do it, but then what if the other colors go bad. We certainly do not want to invest $24000 into this machine to replace heads. Is there a cheaper source for heads? When do you cut your losses and get a new machine. Thanks for any advice... Hotprinter from Alaska...