• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flat sign for building facade

JPR-5690

Before everyone comes out of the woodwork with replies about how absurd it is that people know so little about the industry their in etc etc, let me start off by saying that this is an internal project that we're trying to do ourselves because of a perfect storm of budget, timing, and a moronic slumlord property owner.

Now that that's out of the way...

We need to make/get signage for both the building facade and eventually on the lot entrance as well.

I was thinking a 4x8 sheet of ACM attached to the cinderblock facade using standoffs to make it look a little more professional than just drilling it straight into the building.

We would be printing our logo on vinyl, laminating it, and mounting it to the ACM.

Again, I originally wanted to have a signage specific company do this for us but not only did we get quoted way out of our budget, I realized that this was something we could just do ourselves.

1. Are standoffs going to be strong enough? Lets say...6-8 total used for the 4x8 sheet (I've never used them before)

2. Do we need to wrap the vinyl around the edges of the ACM or anything?

3. Am we looking at this completely wrong and should we be using some other material or method to do this?

4. Did everyone remember to thaw out their turkey?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
  • What thickness ACM ??
  • How many standoffs ??
  • Is it a full bleed ??
  • who's installing it ??
  • Do you have a permit for this ??
Who determined the budget and how/why ?? Perhaps you are unrealistic with your budget numbers.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Dont do standoffs and six would never be enough for 4x8. If you want it to look better then a standard flat sheet of ACM then do a shoebox

rjssigns

In our neck of the woods wind shear would be 960 pounds. Call it an even thousand. Only way I'd do that is with a full perimeter frame bonded to the panel and lots of TapCons.

Belt and suspenders strategy. Last thing you want is to "air freight" that off the side of the building.

JPR-5690

• What thickness ACM ??
  • How many standoffs ??
  • Is it a full bleed ??
  • who's installing it ??
  • Do you have a permit for this ??
Who determined the budget and how/why ?? Perhaps you are unrealistic with your budget numbers.

Oh definitely unrealistic with numbers, no doubt about that haha.
This is whole thing is very...under the radar so to speak, at least until we get to the point where we have the money and time to put into redoing it correctly.

JPR-5690

In our neck of the woods wind shear would be 960 pounds. Call it an even thousand. Only way I'd do that is with a full perimeter frame bonded to the panel and lots of TapCons.

Belt and suspenders strategy. Last thing you want is to "air freight" that off the side of the building.

Ha, truth, that's what Im trying to avoid.
We're right off the interstate so Im imagining a sheet of ACM flying into a car like a carving knife.
Im also using a matte lam specifically so we don't create a giant solar beam ray (Sid from Toy Story, anyone?).

So let's say I just give up on the idea of trying to make it look any better than it has to and we just drill this thing directly into the cinderblock...are there ways to make the bolts more visually appealing other than spray painting them white to match the acm?

Again, I know next to nothing about exterior signage so pardon my ignorance. They never covered that in my BFA program.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
This is whole thing is very...under the radar so to speak, at least until we get to the point where we have the money and time to put into redoing it correctly.

Just slap a 4x8 on the wall and call it done. Your trying to do fancy but that wont work without proper methods and a budget to go with it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber

You asked us not to make fun of you, but these last answers are actually quite silly. (I can think of many words, instead of silly, but that was the nicest.)

You, nor your fellow employees have an ounce of knowledge of sign making, installation or obtaining permits.

I would suggest...... to go off the radar completely and scrap the whole notion you can do this.

You need to find out what you can and cannot do on the premises. Your slumlord landlord has nothing to do with you and your company doing things illegally or in a bad fashion. This whole thing appears to be an exercise in frustration for you, but of no concern to people who make a living doing things correctly. You and your crew really need to re-think this project. No wonder it was outta your budget range.

Billct2

If you go the flat panel route either design the fasteners into the sign, some type of pattern or border that will make them easier to hide
or with the industrial look and make them large, prominent and obvious and paint black or

JPR-5690

And just to clarify, you do need more than JUST that part number. You'll need corner keys and the side panel screws.

We use some of their products for soft signage frames but I had no idea they made so much other stuff.
I just gave them a call and they were super helpful, Im glad you mentioned them because they're clearly an amazing resource.

unclebun

Just put three rows of horizontal treated lumber 2x4's 90" long on the wall with Tapcons. Make the distance from outside of the top one to outside of the bottom one 42". Then make your 4'x8' sign on 3mm ACM. Use screws to attach it to the 2x4's. Five screws per row, total of 15 for the sign. You can paint the heads of the screws so they camouflage to the sign, but most signs are fine without doing anything to the screw heads. Consider the distance from the road to the sign....

When making the sign you don't wrap the edges of the ACM.

You will need to get a sign permit from your municipality if they require it. You will also need to report your installation labor time to your workers comp company. The rate for sign installation is 3-4 times what your regular rate is, and you'll have to pay more for the time of installing the sign.

Since you should be selling a 4x8 ACM sign for $400, and depending on the height to where you're putting the sign, the installation cost for this sign is about $20 materials and $120-360 labor, you might find that paying someone else to do it is more reasonable.