• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flatbed cutter?

stxrmxn

Hi guys thanks for taking the time to read.
I am a bit stuck at the moment.

We currently print on a Roland VP 300 and cut out on a Roland GX 300.
However business is getting busy to the stage where we just cannot keep up with the finishing.
At the moment we have a major bottleneck at the weeding / cutting out table and wanted to try and eliminate this process if we could as it is very time consuming.
We only ever use the same material which is adhesive vinyl around 400 micons thick once laminated.
No job is longer than 1 meter.
Every job is individual and different and needs weeding out by hand.

Wondered what the cheapest / best option would be for a flatbed cutter (if this indeed is the best option)
Would this die cut the prints and eliminate the need to weed / trim?

Thanks
Steve

SebastienL

There are many options for flatbed cutter, none of which is going to do more than what you currently have except cutting rigid materials (PVC, styrene,...) and die cut to registration marks. We have a 10ft wide Zund with infeed and outfeed attachments and all the bells and whistles and we still have to weed manually. If there is such a thing as an "Automatic weeder", I would LOVE to see it!

stxrmxn

We manufacture motocross decals so for instance we have 3 number plates on a job.
When i say weed automatically i mean die cut the job so that we can take waste off the cutter and be left with the 3 number plates rather than what we are doing now which is weeding unwanted product and trimming excess by hand please see you tube clip to see what i mean, what i am looking for is something that will give me the result of the wine bottle at the start of the clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY59Iwqyw3c#t=115

SebastienL

Yup, a flatbed will do that for you. The process is called "die-cut" or "thru-cut" as opposed to "kiss-cut" which standard vinyl cutters do. Flatbeds will do both kiss-cut and thru-cut. Like I said, we have a Zund and it saves us hours on most jobs.

stxrmxn

We have used a Colex Sharpcut flatbed cutter for almost 2 years now. Great value. I would by one again.

Hi thanks, looking for the best priced entry level cutter that will service our needs. Is the Colex suitable for what we need and what type of price level are we looking at for that?

nikolai

We offer a competitive solution to the zund and esko. We are a bit more than the colex but also much more of a solid built machine in comparison. I know that a new cutter is probably not what you are looking for but we do get quite a few trade ins when we place new systems. Usually older zund PN tables but also a few eskos every now and then. If you want to PM me your info I can let you know what used flatbed cutters we are expecting in the next few months.

Turnergraphics

Graphtec 2250 can do it but I've not had consistent results kiss cutting on the 2250. Through cuts are easy but kiss cutting is hard to get the pressure dialed in just right. Plus, 2250 blades are about $70 each. I've not had luck with other brands. AND, I can't understand why Graphtec flatbeds aren't programmed to process intricate shapes at a faster speed.

Why not a roll/roll cutter with perforating feature?