• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flatbed Ink peeling like vinyl??

struthmuffin

Anyone ever seen anything like this? We've never seen it or had any other reports of it from customers..
Printed on an HP Scitex FB500
Machine was sitting for a couple months when we aquired it, and this would have been one of the earliest prints we had done on it.
OEM Inks, normal coroplast, no additive/spray/or adhesion chemicals applied.
Customer kept signs in storage for almost a year before getting them out for use, then saw ink was peeling as you can see in the picture.
Like I say, haven't heard any other issues from clients, but wondering if anyone has seen this before.

Attachments

• image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    363.8 KB · Views: 375

particleman

Long story short this is probably related to the brand and type of corrugated you printed on. This also could have been a sheet at the top or bottom of the stack (some sort of contamination). Some corrugated works less ideal than others. The ink likely wasn't stuck very well when you first printed it, but you're seeing the results of it sitting for this long. There are various adhesion tests you can do to tell how well of a bond you are getting after the first print. We went as far as buying a set of dyne test pens at one point (many years ago before UV printing was really popular). We battled with corrugated for years with our agfa, the HP works much better generally we found.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Most Cor-X, loses it's corrona after a week or two, if you were lucky enough to have it in the first place. That is normal for using cheap substrates and not prepping very good. Regardless of being used or not...... they won't last much over 6 months to a year.

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
Ink vs adhesion to Coro.

As others above have said, Coro = 6mo or so.

Look for a UV printable digital line from your distributor(s)

struthmuffin

Very interesting. Thank you all for the responses. I will have to keep an eye on this and ensure we communicate it properly with clients.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You don't need to communicate it, verbally. It's a line item on our quotes and invoices alike that it's a temporary outdoor product good for 6 months to a year.

Jayefkay531

I know I'm a bit late here, but I spent a lot of time with an HP tech on my FB550. He mentioned one of the biggest culprits to ink adhesion isn't always the substrate, but the age of the ink. If the machine was sitting for a few months, the inks could have been past their expiration date. The scitex inks do not have a warranty date on them, but an expiration, which I believe only lasts about 6months. If the inks in the sitting machine were near or past that, it would definitely affect the adhesion longevity. I'm not saying this is absolutely the problem, but it could be a major factor.