• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flatbed or Roll Plotter for cutting magnet material only?

njsignguy

Hello, I have a Roland vp540 and looking to add another piece of equipment which will be used mainly for cutting or scoring different shaped small magnets. I understand a flatbed plotter will cut out a magnet completely and certain roll or more common plotters will score the magnet. I have a chance to buy a used flatbed plotter for a reasonable price or might purchase a new stand up vinyl plotter to just score magnets. Looking for advice from someone who has produced thousands of magnets with either of the methods I mentioned. I plan on printing on vinyl and applying to magnet or if possible print directly onto the magnet material (only if its possible to do without being anxious of machine damage). Not sure if the flatbed plotter is worth the investment for just using it for magnets. Also not sure which stand up plotter would be perfect for my use. Any input appreciated. Thank you

Ditchmiester

I've got an HP L260 and a Summa S2 T-140 Plotter. I've made thousands of print and cut magnets. Only problem is if you are using the good .030 mag then there is one draw back. The weight of the material on a pinch roller style plotter has to be kept to a minimum so we can usually only cut maybe 3-5 feet worth of printed magnet or the cut will end up off because the magnet drags on the plotter as it pulls through just from the sheer weight of it. I wish I had a flatbed cutter to do just magnets and other heavy materials on would make my life a lot easier. What size flatbed cutter are you looking at?