Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flatbed printer question

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Greg2142, Jan 8, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Greg2142

Greg2142 New Member

Jan 4, 2013
    I am looking for a printer that will print pictures on 3/4 inch wood. Most of the prints will be smaller (8x8 or 8x10) but I also need to be able to print up to 30x40 inches. I have been searching forums on here for a while and have found a few new printers in the 90-120k range, but I was curious if there is entry level machine around the 40-60k mark. I am open to possibly purchasing a used machine if I am able to look at it and do a few sample prints first. I was also wondering if it would be worth my time to fly out to the expo at the end of February in Orlando or if the machines there would be out of my price range. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Tags:
  2. sfd2122

sfd2122 New Member

May 29, 2008
    You are going to be looking at a used flatbed in that price range of 40k to 60k. I have a FB500 and it will print on wood with no problem all day long. The only thing is that you have to make sure that there is no warping in the wood. Just the slightest warping will cause head hits. Otherwise flatbed is the way to go but it won't be easy keeping in that price range.

3. rubo

rubo Member

Aug 4, 2011
    glendale ca
    Save yourself the $$, buy an Epson, print on veneer, mount it on wood. You're welcome to come over and see what I'm talking about - you're only 20 minutes away from me.

4. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    Or outsource if you're only doing small quantities.

5. WI

WI Member

Nov 7, 2012
    You'd probably want a UV printer (since they print on just about anything) and you need to be real sure that its got a media-feed setup that's strong enough to pull a sheet of lumber. That would probably mean that you need something with a belt-drive on it, but I'm not 100% sure.

6. rubo

rubo Member

Aug 4, 2011
    glendale ca
    8x10 needs higher resolution and larger gamut than UV could produce - but it's in the eye of beholder, right?...But again, veneer + board = not spending all the $$ Ks.

7. Carl Crabtree

Carl Crabtree Member

Sep 26, 2007
    Tennessee
    Mimaki sells a small flatbed. I think it just prints about 11.5" x 17.5"

8. particleman

particleman Member

Feb 1, 2008
    IN
    You might be able to find an FB500 on the high end of your range. It is relatively easier to move compared to true flats beds and is still current technology as far as HP goes.

9. Bizzarth

Bizzarth Member

May 22, 2008
    Take a look at the Mutoh flatbeds. They are a bit bigger than what you need, but are in you price range. They also print roll to roll.

10. Greg2142

Greg2142 New Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Thank you for all the feedback, it is much appreciated. I think used is going to be my only option. I have printed on veneer and applied it to the wood but it isn't the look I am trying to achieve. If anyone has any leads on printers for sale (California, Arizona, Nevada area) I would be interested in checking them out.

11. API

API Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Kernersville, nc
  12. MikeD

MikeD Active Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Look into Direct Color Systems small flatbeds; solvent and UV models available with a ~13"x24" print area. Great print quality, and DCS has great support for their products.
    Good Luck!

13. mnapuran

mnapuran Active Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Plano (Dallas), TX
    Interesting... where do you get the veneer on a roll?

EDIT: Found this - http://sheerveneer.com/products/

14. artbot

artbot Very Active Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Houston TX
    if it's just wood on a budget, veneer is a good way to go with any of the straight epson based printers. i printed on veneer for years before i finally got a big flatbed. large pieces can be a bit tricky because of low warps that work across the sheet. you can also get really wood paper. if you coat the wood with SW cab lacquer, the solvent ink will stick and dry to it just fine with no heat.

15. the graphics co

the graphics co Active Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Gurnee, IL
    If you are thinking of spending 40-60k on a printer, it would be worth it to spend a few hundred to go to the sign show and see what will work best for your needs.

16. sowinski_t

sowinski_t Member

Nov 22, 2011
    +1 for going to sign show.

At a previous shop I worked at, we ran just about everything under the sun through out OCE 250GT, they are pricey but the quality is incredible. Printed on wood (and veneer), looked great! Might be able to find a used one now since they are a few years old...

17. imrtstc

imrtstc New Member

Feb 17, 2009
    I just ordered a Mimaki 3042HG

18. CS-SignSupply-TT

CS-SignSupply-TT Very Active Member

May 31, 2011