• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

flatbed UV question about cleaning signs

gabagoo

I had 12 signs made for a factory and now they are asking what kind of cleaners can be used on the signs as they could get oil residue on them over time due to the mfg process they use. They were printed on a Flatbed UV machine......

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Most flatbed printed signs aren't really made with cleaning down the road in mind, unless you treat them after printing.

If known ahead of time, I would say the signs should be laminated or at least liquid cleared and then a mild soap and water with a light touch from a rag will do. If an oily atmosphere is going to happen, I'd give no warranties other than a year.

In fact, you might want to consider putting a poly or acrylic face on it, then you can feel at ease about basically any cleaners they might use by mistake. I can't tell you how many times people are given specific instructions on how to maintain signs, but someone will invariably use something else and not tell anyone and then say, I only used Windex............ :covereyes:

Biker Scout

Signs going into factories should be made by the sign guy with heavy cleaning in mind. I used to deal with food processing factories, and steam and hot water were used periodically to clean the whole place. With that in mind, I'd laminate the signs with Polycarbonate.