• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Flatbed

Raum Divarco

General Manager CUTWORX USA / Amcad & Graphics
what are you looking to do in general. are you looking for productivity or capability? are you going to do a lot with white or any tactile profile building like with touchstone?

tony mansfield

yes, we want to get an intermediate printer, so we can do high end projects with white and clear. also one that has the speed to carry us on potential large projects..any good advice on companies for routers?

Raum Divarco

yes, we want to get an intermediate printer, so we can do high end projects with white and clear. also one that has the speed to carry us on potential large projects..any good advice on companies for routers?
Based upon your application you may want some information on a couple other types from those manufacturers. Our company is a supplier for both. Out technology center manager had worked for Mimaki and we have a good relationship with them as they are across the street from us. So if you would like additional information on some options i can direct you to our Technology center manager.

Raum Divarco

Dont get me wrong every piece of equipment out there has some pros and cons. They both are great manufacturers. Different materials have different properties. some have low adhesion levels that can be overcome with products like promoter sprays. For your specific application of looking at the clear, i would suggest a different model from Mimaki. There are other models with robust options specifically for the application that you are looking at. Canon/oce has some great options too.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Your best bet, as always is to visit each of these companies and have them demo the machines for you with your own media and your own files.

Second to that, you want to have great tech support. No point getting a printer that’s a little cheaper if it takes them a week to get it up and running once it’s down.

As far as tech support goes for our Oce machines. We get a tech out next day and sometimes same day (within 6 “working hours”) and I can’t fault them. The guy we get knows his stuff and has been very helpful.

Raum Divarco

Our demo center features presses from both Mimaki and Vanguard. so if youd like to see some things via a video conference, i can coordinate that. If you have some tests that you would like the process videoed or live we can also get that coordinated as well.
Our partner company focuses on finishing & flatbed cutters we have several of those options available to see too.

tony mansfield

Check out Vanguard... As a vanguard user, I'm glad we went that route over Mimaki or Canon. Both for those machines are far slower and the Vanguard print quality at speed blows both those machines out of the water.

Ink cost is far lower and the adhesion is amazing on all surfaces we have tried.
does vanguard have varnish and white..

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Don’t know anything about vanguards but took me about 20 seconds to see the VR5D-E (entry level) can do clear, spot and white

edit: looks like you can add heads if you need to as well.

OhiotoArizona

Vanguard does not have an auto cleaning system
So speed is irrelevant
If you have nozzle outs you have to put gloves on, get under the printer, wipe off the heads, do a print test, and repeat if necessary
All the while touching the print heads creates wear on the print heads which eventually leads to print head replacement
An auto cleaning cycle makes the printer more productive
All printheads clog so auto cleaning eliminates those issued

Christian @ 2CT Media

So speed is irrelevant
If you have nozzle outs you have to put gloves on, get under the printer, wipe off the heads, do a print test, and repeat if necessary
All the while touching the print heads creates wear on the print heads which eventually leads to print head replacement
We printed over 150 sheets consecutively with no nozzle drop out. Manual cleaning takes 10 mins, once in the morning or a few times a day if under heavy load. The Kyocera heads in our Vanguard are incredibly durable in Comparison to Canons heads and the heads used by Mimaki. We average 40 CMYK boards an hour at quality mode with loading and unloading.

You must be bewitched by Canon... I can show you a few places that have disabled their auto-cleaning because it causes more issues than solves.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
So speed is irrelevant

I haven't heard so much rubbish on this forum in a long time...

Christian @ 2CT Media

We printed over 150 sheets consecutively with no nozzle drop out. Manual cleaning takes 10 mins, once in the morning or a few times a day if under heavy load. The Kyocera heads in our Vanguard are incredibly durable in Comparison to Canons heads and the heads used by Mimaki. We average 40 CMYK boards an hour at quality mode with loading and unloading.

You must be bewitched by Canon... I can show you a few places that have disabled their auto-cleaning because it causes more issues than solves.
Just to back this up again... We just got done doing a 750 sheet run from Monday to Friday of last week, with 0 Nozzle loss doing manual cleaning.

Don't fall in to the "Have to have Wipers" trap.