Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flex face sign replacement

Discussion in 'Electric Signs & Channel Letters' started by rfsign, May 2, 2011.

1. rfsign

rfsign Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Need help. Anyone experienced with replacing a face with this system? What do I need to do? Picture attached.

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    there will most likely be some sort of tensioning system (ratchets, etc) within the swinging frame...tools needed depends on the manufacturer of the system

3. rfsign

rfsign Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Have you ever seen one like this? Trying to figure out who manufactured it so I can get some direction.

4. Randy101

Randy101 Member

Jan 4, 2007
    PA
    Looks like a custom made sign cabinet. Do you have any pics of what is holding the flex face from the front.

5. jmb474

jmb474 Member

Yeah, its tough to help from that pic.

6. rfsign

rfsign Member

Jul 7, 2010
    The front has got an aluminium retainer with rivets.

7. rfsign

rfsign Member

Jul 7, 2010
    here is a picture. Not the best picture but a picture.

Attached Files:

8. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    rivets, eh? hmm what a pain...

9. phototec

phototec Very Active Member

May 23, 2008
    Belton
    I just completed my first Flex face sign replacement, it was a real b**ch, some have clips and or other mechanical tensioning systems, to pull the flex material tight on the frame. However, the one I worked on did not have anything like that, the old 3M PanaFlex face was pulled tight and stapled on the aluminum frame, it was a real challenge to replace the flex face for me. I was given lots of help from folks at Signs101, see this link, some of the tips may help?

http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78919

:thumb:

10. rfsign

rfsign Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Figured it out for anyone who cares or runs into this in the future. I drilled out the rivets on the retainer and found that the flex material was screwed into the inner (square tube steel) frame with a lot of screws. No tensioning system. Thanks for your suggestions.