• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flex Frame Banner Frame System

AKProbeGT

Hi all,

I have a customer of mine looking to replace three "banner frame systems". These were installed these a number of years ago before I bought my business so I have limited information on where this product came from. I'd like to reuse the frame if possible. I've attached some pictures of what they have. They are about 6' x 42' digital prints on a banner like material. The customer says their old invoice says Retro frame system with flex faces. Has anyone seen this particular system that can guide me in what I need to do to replace the face? It looks like there is a black plastic track that is attached to the back of the banner material somehow but after doing a little disassembly I couldn't figure out how to pull that out off the aluminum track. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My other thought was to price taking down the whole banner system and putting up a sign made out of aluminum panels. These are permanant signs that should not change anytime soon. It seems that would last a lot longer than printed banners.

Attachments

• Banner11.jpg
    Banner11.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 221
  • Banner12.jpg
    Banner12.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 158
  • Banner13.jpg
    Banner13.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 152
  • Banner14.jpg
    Banner14.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 158
  • Banner15.jpg
    Banner15.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 146
  • Banner16.jpg
    Banner16.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 168

Checkers

I think I know the system. If its what I've worked with, just take off the sides of the frame by removing all the screws and the banners will slide out.

If you're in PA, the system probably was sold by a local competitor. And no, it wasn't me.

Depending on the materials you use, an aluminum sign probably should last longer than a replacement banner. But, it will be more expensive than replacing the banners with new prints.

If you want more details and/or a price on the replacement banners, shoot me a private message or give me a call with your contact info and the dimensions.

Checkers

Designer Wraps

Call Harbor Sales - I just went to a training in Maryland with them on the SignComp Flex Face System. It's clean and simple.

www.harborsales.net.

Give them the size-area you need and they'll give you a price. The banner you can have done by any good company that can heat weld (if larger than 64"). Just make sure you give yourself at least 4" all the way around.

AKProbeGT

I think I know the system. If its what I've worked with, just take off the sides of the frame by removing all the screws and the banners will slide out.

If you're in PA, the system probably was sold by a local competitor. And no, it wasn't me.

Depending on the materials you use, an aluminum sign probably should last longer than a replacement banner. But, it will be more expensive than replacing the banners with new prints.

If you want more details and/or a price on the replacement banners, shoot me a private message or give me a call with your contact info and the dimensions.

Checkers

I know the company who put them up and it is someone closer to me. Looking at the banners is appears there is a plastic track heat welded onto the backs of the prints that slips into the aluminum frame. When I first surveyed it I thought it would be a matter of popping a few screws loose but the is no outer layer to this frame system. There seems to be just the frame screwed to the building then the plastic track slipped into that. It seems to me like it would be extremely difficult to install and would require a VERY precisely sized banner unless I'm overlooking something.

I'm sure the aluminum sign would cost considerably more but it seems to me like it would be worth it. I personally would have recommended a banner for a permanent sign in the first place but its what I have to deal with.

AKProbeGT

Call Harbor Sales - I just went to a training in Maryland with them on the SignComp Flex Face System. It's clean and simple.

www.harborsales.net.

Give them the size-area you need and they'll give you a price. The banner you can have done by any good company that can heat weld (if larger than 64"). Just make sure you give yourself at least 4" all the way around.

Harbor was the first place I looked. The SignComp System is different than this. It looks like a much better system than what I have to deal with but I'm sure the customer doesnt want to have to pay for a new hanging system unless I have to. I know they want to use my services as I do all their other signs but I'm afraid if I can't come up with a decent solution here they will have to go back to the original company.

Checkers

...It seems to me like it would be extremely difficult to install and would require a VERY precisely sized banner unless I'm overlooking something...
Yep, you're overlooking something. The system is quite simple. My offer still stands though.

Checkers

AKProbeGT

Yep, you're overlooking something. The system is quite simple. My offer still stands though.

Checkers

I had more time today to take things apart and it is a little different than I thought. Removing the visible screws does separate the banner from the inner framework. It still looks like the banner is attached to the outer aluminum frame by a plastic strip. That plastic strip seems to be heat welded to the back of the banner. Is that the system your familiar with? If you wanted to PM me a quote with prices that would be great. It is 3 banners 6' x 42'.

Attachments

• banner20.jpg
    banner20.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 142
  • banner21.jpg
    banner21.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 170
  • banner22.jpg
    banner22.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 157
  • banner23.jpg
    banner23.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 175

John L

The plastic bead is awning bead welt. Independant's Printing Bureau is familiar with this, ask for Ann.

Yes, you have to be pretty close on your measurements, not much wiggle room. There were covers available from one manufacturer of that extrusion (unless you already took them off). We always mounted the top extrusion, then slid the sides and bottom on with cams at the extent of their loose adjustment. Then mount the remaining three extrusions and tighten the cam adjustments to stretch it tight.

AKProbeGT

The plastic bead is awning bead welt. Independant's Printing Bureau is familiar with this, ask for Ann.

Yes, you have to be pretty close on your measurements, not much wiggle room. There were covers available from one manufacturer of that extrusion (unless you already took them off).

No, I didnt take any covers off. I guess they were never installed for whatever reason. These aren't seen up close by most people. How is that plastic bead installed? Glue, tape, heatwelding?

John L

Yes, it is heatwelded by the printer. We bought the bead once and had a local guy try to radio-weld (whatever they call it) it to a banner that we made. It was a disaster and I ended up buying it all over again anyway.

The signcomp stuff really does look like a good system from what I can see on the net. Apparently you just use a raw banner edge, no hem, bead, or pockets. Might be worth the bucks to avoid the issues with this frame.