• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flexi 7.6 on Windows 7 64 bit / xp mode

Gene@mpls

I friend loaned me a new Dell 64bit computer with Win 7 pro on it to try to get
my old version of Flexipro 7.6 to work- and it seems to work fine. I am still
struggling with getting XP mode to play nice with my LAN but I am guessing
that will be doable if I get someone in that actually knows something about
how the virtual machine works as far as networking.

This is my first time touching a Vista or Win7 machine so it has taken a while
to figure it out so far but I am encouraged so far. I figure I will start having
to replace some of my XP machines sooner or later. Fun on a Sunday PM. :doh:

Anyone else doing this? I was concerned about the 64bit OS mostly I guess.

mopar691

I have 7.6 also and tried to get it to run that way, could only get it to cut. I tried everything but could not make it go, but I am not a super geek either so I gave up and kept my PC-600 and JV3 on a XP box with 7.6 in the back room for just a rip.

Last week I just purchased 10.5 and a new Mutoh so all that weirdness is behind me. Now just the PC-600 on the XP box.

But I tried about everything to get it to print to no avail. So if you are that far Grats and hope it all works for you. from the sound of it you are already ahead of me.

Gene@mpls

Thanks for the reply- I am from Wadena (many years ago). I don't use Flexi
for a rip anyway- just design/cut and send files to Vworks to rip. I went to
tech school in Wadsville with some Long Prairie guys in 1965 and 66. No idea
what their names were tho. The customer who loaned me the puter is a
very sharp IT guy- I need to get him in here for an hour I think. Gene

PS stop in sometime if you get down this way. I am in Blaine by the Nat. Sports Center

mopar691

Well then just layouts, design and cuts you should be fine I would think. From my understanding has something to do with 8 bit printing as vista or above does not support. But I could be wrong.

Oh ya Wadena is just up the road a bit from me. Used to hang out there in the late 80's and early 90's. Go out towards Deer Creek and drag race on the weekends. The town got almost wiped off the map last year from a tornado. Pictures I seen were pretty bad. The school and tech college took the most damage I think.

I get down that way about once a month or so to visit family. I will have to stop by I am always up for a coffee and would like to see your custom take up reel. Things like that spark my creativity and desire to build.

choucove

Quite a while back when we were first working with the transition from Windows XP to Windows 7 on our computers, I worked with doing Flexi 8.1 in XP Mode. In several ways the software worked. I was able to get fonts loaded, the program "ran" and as far as designing, the system seemed to do what we need. But we occasionally had crashes and corrupted artwork files working this way. More so than normal. We were also unable to get printing to output to our JV3-130 printer, though cutting worked to the Graphtec plotters we are using.

In the end, there were just too many little hiccups that we ran into, and we needed to have Flexi 10 to be able to print anyways. Besides, if there are any issues you come up against, you're out of luck getting any kind of support from SAi or any other distributors really on this kind of configuration. While it may work, it's completely up to yourself to keep it working and address any issues that may (and most likely, unfortunately, will) arise.

Gene@mpls

OK- an update and some of the things I have worked out. I have the program
working with a few problems with hooking up to my LAN and file server- my
IT friend has no problem doing it so that is fixable. This is my first exposure
to Win 7 so it is slow going to figure out the things I have been doing for
years in XP and how to do it in 7. But from what I can find out Flexi 7.x will
only work in 32bit- and this puter is 64bit. I believe that if I order a 32bit
that Flexi will work OK- I have been using the XP mode in 7 and that adds
a whole layer of other problems- but it does work. This winter when it slows
down I will buy an i5 puter with 32bit and try that. Gene

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Keep in mind.... while the newer computer will run Windows 7 x32 just fine any RAM the computer might have above 4GB (it might not have that much to begin with) will not be useable. Also, you should be able to find an ISO for Windows 7 x32 to create an install disc with. The Windows install key you have will work with both x32 and x64.

Gene@mpls

So... are you saying that Win7 32bit only will use 4g of ram? And 64bit will
take much more. The puter I borrowed (64 bit has 12g I think)- in XP mode
it only uses 4gig (actually 3.something). Part of the problem is eliminating at
least the XP machines that take in files from the internet and customer by
the time MS quits supporting them. Gene

choucove

As SightLine pointed out, you should be able to use your existing Windows 7 license key to reinstall as a 32-bit operating system, but you will need to have an installation disk to do that. You can find them online to download as an .ISO file which you can then burn onto a DVD.

Yes, with a 32-bit version of Windows 7 no matter if you have 4 GB or 64 GB of physical RAM in the system, the computer will only be able to recognize a little less than 4 GB due to the limitations of 32-bit address space. This is why 64-bit has become so crucial in today's technology field, and it's also why your XP Mode virtual machine is only recognizing a little more than 3 GB because it is 32-bit.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Yep 32bit has a 4GB limit. The reason it always shows some amount less than 4GB in 32bit Windows is that 4GB is the total addressable memory, in other words if you stuck a video card in the computer with 1GB of memory on it, 32bit Windows would then only show 3GB of ram.