• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flexi 8.0 and Mutoh Valuejet...cannot open port. Help???

Flame

Alright so I got into a bind yet again and I'm just not tech geeky enough. Running Windows XP for my RIP station (yah yah shoot me, I don't want to upgrade my Flexi). Had some issues and had to reload windows. Ok thats done, up and going again, reload Flexi, get it setup, get my hasp key working again. But now... when I go to print, it "cannot open port". Sigh. Been there done that, so.....

I setup my IP on my printer to 172.18.3.101, subnet 255.255.255.0, and nothing in gateway. I do the same in my RIP settings. Nothing.... so I make sure to go to my local area connections and set the IP for 172.18.3.1000, subnet and gateway matching. Then for kicks I try pinging my printer...nothing. It didn't find it. I tried a new Cat5 cable, didn't work (running a Cat5 straight from printer to computer).

Now I'm all kinds of confused. What could I be missing?? Anyone have any ideas? Nothing like having this on a Saturday when you were supposed to get caught up on work.

FrankW

When you can't ping the printers IP-adress, then something is wrong with the network connection. Because regularly an IP-setup like "Printer 172.18.3.101, Subnet 255.255.255.0" and "RIP-Station 172.18.3.100, Subnet 255.255.255.0" should work, it looks like an issue with the cabling or the network ports. Have anything changed about the network cabling?

Flame

No firewall. But I noticed that in the ethernet port...it won't light up when I plug in a cable. Tried multiple cables...nothing. Could I possibly be missing a driver, or???

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
... I tried a new Cat5 cable, didn't work (running a Cat5 straight from printer to computer)...

If memory serves you need a crossover Cat 5 cable, not a straight through cable, from PC to printer.

Flame

If memory serves you need a crossover Cat 5 cable, not a straight through cable, from PC to printer.

I do have a Cat 5.

Any cable I plug in, won't show a light. I go into system, and under "ethernet controller" and "pci device", says drivers are not installed. So looks like this is not a Flexi issue, it's a issue with my PC. Now...been googling for over an hour and can't seem to get a driver. Any ideas???

Flame

Yes Cat 5 crossover. I've been through multiple printers and cables in my life, I have bags of these things everywhere. And this was the same cable as I was using yesterday when I was printing.

With that said though, I DID get it resolved. Apparently the ethernet driver was not part of the Windows disc I used (yet it was on a different disc!! good to know..), and the driver package I downloaded from asus did NOT contain a LAN driver. I dug around and found the proper LAN driver for my motherboard, (took 2 tries, first one was for a different model with almost an identical name to mine), and BOOM, she works. Re-set my IPs and after 10 man hours of dinking with this thing, back to printing.

Sometimes I wonder why I got into the print biz. lol. Thanks for trying to help guys (Bob, Frank and Trubey), I have a wrap to get cranked out now so I'm outta here.

Oh yah, and as a note. Don't download Flexi 8.0 on a Windows 7 PC. Bad things happen, especially when you start messing with the windows compatability...

Pro Image

Window 7 PRO......you can run in a XP mode and it works everything I have great.....Flexi Print DX and Inspire XP.....

Ive been in your shoes more than once......LOL....it sucks......

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
...Oh yah, and as a note. Don't download Flexi 8.0 on a Windows 7 PC. Bad things happen, especially when you start messing with the windows compatability...

Is it something to do with the download itself or specific to Flexi 8.0? I ask because I've been running Flexi 8.6 on Windows 7 for quite some time with no issues. I can only wonder at what I've been missing.

Glad you have the thing up and running. TCP/IP and Ethernet tackle can often appear to operate based on principles unknown to mere humans.

Flame

Flexi just kept glitching (I have 8.0v2) and have heard from others it really doesn't work right. Couldn't get it to print, and when I tried running the program in XP compatability, Production Manager and Flexi wouldn't talk to each other. No matter what.

Stealth Ryder

It is a network problem, nothing more... Firewalls and/or Antivirus programs can block IP Addresses as well, if the IP addressing is correct and the hardware such as NICS are good (Computer and Printer Mainboard) look there...