• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flexi and HPL25500 ??? Any Better Now?

Suz

Matt, thanks for that tip. I'm downloading demo now to the new computer. I will check that out.

On a side note, I need it to do some other stuff too. I asked if I could do my color seps for screenprinting and I was told YES, so that is great! However, don't know if I can manipulate the halftone dots. I like to be able to choose conventional or stocastic (random), round or oval, and choose the size of the dot as well. We'll see if it gives me that much flexibility. If this is all possible, I would not have to have my halftones made elsewhere. That would be a big plus!

Suz - I don't know a lot about the FlexiPrint level of the software. You might want to verify what all it can do versus the Pro version we have here. I would imagine the printer control option are the same, thats just driver stuff. I am more concerned as to whether or not the ICC profile generation is included.

FrankW

I work with Onyx and with Flexi to drive HP L25500 and L26500, and I prefer Flexi ... not because of it works better with the printers, just because it's easier to use. And contour cutting is much better with flexi.

The halftone dither can be manipulated in many ways, number of lines per inch and angle, lots of dot forms and so on.

FlexiPRINT should not have the ICC-Profiler integrated, thats FlexiPRO. FlexiPRO have other additional things too, for example easy object color control, nesting and so on.

Suz

Frank and Mattt, I'm thinking that because I design in Corel and also in Illustrator, and looks like Flexiprint has Postcript 3 capabilities, I may just be able to do everything I want to do through those programs if printing direct from them. Please correct me though if I am wrong.
This s what Advantage Sign Supply's website says about FlexiPrint...
(copied from their website):
SAI FlexiPRINT 10 for HP L25500 Printer
spacer.gif
Get accuracy, reliability, and more from FlexiPRINT 10 for the HP L25500 printer. This professional RIP software features over 75 ICC profiles for the most popular sign/graphics medias. Simple to use, FlexiPRINT lets you drag and drop almost any file format directly into FlexiPRINT's queue, including GIF, TIF, EPS, AI, PSD, BMP, JPG, PNG, and even PDF.

Designed for versatility, FlexiPRINT has a unique Multi-media setup feature to create 3 completely different setups for the material you're printing. Also, with Application Direct Printing, you can print directly from Illustrator, Corel, or most other design applications.

Additional features:
- Adobe Postscript 3 RIP
- Nesting and tiling standard
- Control heater setttings from FlexiPRINT
- Rotate, scale, mirror, and multi-copy
- Color profiler option

I work with Onyx and with Flexi to drive HP L25500 and L26500, and I prefer Flexi ... not because of it works better with the printers, just because it's easier to use. And contour cutting is much better with flexi.

The halftone dither can be manipulated in many ways, number of lines per inch and angle, lots of dot forms and so on.

FlexiPRINT should not have the ICC-Profiler integrated, thats FlexiPRO. FlexiPRO have other additional things too, for example easy object color control, nesting and so on.

FrankW

Since January, Flexi is delivered with a PDF-RIP instead of a Postscript 3-RIP. But this is the same with Onyx and some other RIP's, and it is a good solution because Postscript is outdated and Postscript-RIP's have a lot of problems with todays PDF-Files.

But this means no change in functionality. Yes, printing directly from Corel or Illustrator is possible. The ColorProfiler is an option for FlexiPRINT, it costs extra money. What means you can set ink limits and you can measure density, but no color values for creating ICC-Profiles.

Suz

Frank, thanks for this info! Makes me feel better about Flexi-Print if we do buy it.

Just got my (6) replacement heads via HP, covered under the warranty. So glad! We installed them lastnight. Still have some more error messages to work through with HP Tech. Then, a test run maybe today? I have so much to do though before the weekend. I have hats and shirts (hundreds) to embroider for car show this weekend. Yikes!

Now, back at it for working on getting software. I'm trying to find Onyx CH228A, you'll see my post. Has to be purchased through an HP Dealer or reseller. It is Onyx's answer to Flexi-PRint. In other words, specific to the HPL25500 printer. I was told by a Tech at Advantage that this could be purchased if I did not get a RIP with my printer when purchased new. I'd have to have a trial key as well, which I have. Wish me luck!

Thanks to some forum members here, I'm getting good info too! Love this forum!

nate

Which distribution of Linux did y'all use? I use Ubuntu, but then again it just handles Internet, email, LibreOffice and other related tasks, however, it is very easy to migrate between a Windows OS and a Linux based OS.

Caldera is currently on Debian. Ubuntu was their old distro.

Suz

Customer service with Caldera? Or someone else?

Nate, yeah, Customer Service with Caldera. Maybe because of the time zones and the fact quite a few people were on vacation. Anyhow, it wasn't good for us, not what we wanted for responses. We totally cleaned out a brand new computer. Then after all the time we waited, decided to reload Windows and just try to go with a software that runs on Windows.

Probably just my experience, but seems that this whole Latex thing has been quite a journey. Just a bad start, but it is going to get better!

Fastsigns2041

Fastsigns Palm Harbor
You could set up a virtual machine on your new pc with VMWare. I have a VM running winxp in the background on my rip station to run my old colorpainter(with flexi) because win7 doesn't support the SCSI card.

Same principle, just install debian in the Virtual Machine. and you have 2 computers running on the same hardware at the same time.

signswi

We found the learning curve on our L25500 to be miniscule compared with solvent printers, it handles so much automatically. Don't see any graininess that matters (you may be referring to the dot pattern which can be different than other printers, some would say better...). Haven't had any problems on canvas either! Just lucky I guess.

If you've already invested in a nice shiny quality printer like the L25500 or L26500 not investing in a quality rip like Caldera or Onyx is just...dumb. No other way to put it.

Suz

I had a chance to run the printer lastnight between loading embroidery machines. At first, there was lots of banding in the black, which was hardly firing any ink at all. Did a head cleaning and then alignment and now everything looks as it should. All the error messages have gone away and I think my machine is happy now. Yay! HP Tech Support was very helpful a few days ago, I am so thankful it is under warrantee. Think I'm going to extend the warranty for $399.00/year.

the software purchase will be resolved next week hopfully. Got an email from Grimco Corporate yesterday that was upsetting, but I can handle it... They told me they chose not to sell software to me as they don't feel I'll be satisfied with the price or the service. Turns out I am quite a heckler, I mean hassler. :) Oh well, I still like my local Sales guy at Grimco. But it appears Grimco Corporate has "fired" me. Where is Donald Trump? Haha! So there you go, don't be a pain in the ars, they don't need you if you are more work or service or hassle. I was also told their Tech left and so they can't provide Technical help locally, which I really wasn't expecting anyhow. I feel like a piece of dog poo though, Thank you Grimco!!!

Suz

Wild, yeah, huh?
Guess they are scared of teeny tiny woman.
Well, powerhouse. TEE hee!
Power Pain in the ars. My hubby laughed so hard, actually we both did.
Pretty funny stuff. Didn't expect that one.

What a way to round out the week. TGIF huh?

WildWestDesigns

Wild, yeah, huh?
Guess they are scared of teeny tiny woman.
Well, powerhouse. TEE hee!
Power Pain in the ars. My hubby laughed so hard, actually we both did.
Pretty funny stuff. Didn't expect that one.

Hey, I know better then to mess with my mom or the ole ball and chain. They might be small, but they stay mad for a very long time. Long after I forgot what I did "wrong".

VTSigns

I have tried all 3 RIP's mentioned in this thread. I started with Flexi and found it to be a little unpredictable. The profiles at that time didn't really give me the results I wanted. So I bought Onyx and found the learning curve to be extremely high. I'm sure Onyx works just fine but I didn't find it to be the least bit intuitive. I then purchased Caldera reluctantly because of the Linux situation. Caldera has been nothing but great. The software is so easy and very intuitive. The price for what you get is great compared to Onyx. The support (Ernst) has been excellent. You call and will usually get a voicemail but you can leave a message and Ernst will get back with you very quickly. Setting up a standalone RIP computer configured with Linux was no big deal. From my experience will all 3, Caldera is heads above the other 2.

Suz

Wild, you are funny! You are quite right though. We wee women are scarey enough to send 'um all up to the roof tops. :Oops:
:thankyou:for a good laugh, I needed that this morning. Happy Friday to yu too!

Hey, I know better then to mess with my mom or the ole ball and chain. They might be small, but they stay mad for a very long time. Long after I forgot what I did "wrong".

Suz

Signspot, I read everything you write. Oh, did you sell the other yet? I think you offered it (Caldera) to me a while ago. I like Caldera, it seems pretty easy to me now. At first it looked a bit complicated, only because it was not a matter of just hitting (control + print buttons) print like with my laserjet printers. But I got over that pretty quickly. T3 (Tim) helped me over the phone, he's a wonderful Canadian! :U Rock: Timmy!

I am following leads and will follow yours too. Hopefully I won't scare Ernst if I contact him. :)

All kidding aside, IK'm so happy that Linux and Caldera are working so well for you. Yes, you nailed it, funds are limited.

But I always make good money in the summer with my Embroidery and Screenprint work, so now is the time!

Thank you for your input!

I have tried all 3 RIP's mentioned in this thread. I started with Flexi and found it to be a little unpredictable. The profiles at that time didn't really give me the results I wanted. So I bought Onyx and found the learning curve to be extremely high. I'm sure Onyx works just fine but I didn't find it to be the least bit intuitive. I then purchased Caldera reluctantly because of the Linux situation. Caldera has been nothing but great. The software is so easy and very intuitive. The price for what you get is great compared to Onyx. The support (Ernst) has been excellent. You call and will usually get a voicemail but you can leave a message and Ernst will get back with you very quickly. Setting up a standalone RIP computer configured with Linux was no big deal. From my experience will all 3, Caldera is heads above the other 2.