Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flexi and Illustrator file versions

Discussion in 'Flexi' started by mark in tx, Jan 21, 2006.

1. mark in tx

mark in tx Very Active Member

Oct 25, 2005
    Harker Heights, Texas
    Everything that I do in Illustrator has to be saved in Illustrator 8.0 format to get Flexi to open the file. I have the latest version of Flexi Pro, and Illustrator CS2, am I doing something wrong?

Tags:
  2. Bobby H

Bobby H Very Active Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Lawton, OK
    One alternative is saving the IllustratorCS2 file with PDF compatibility "on." Sometimes Flexi can bring in the artwork successfully using the PDF import filter. Same solution applies for bringing similar files into CorelDRAW.

However, you're not really going hurt artwork quality by saving a copy of the file in legacy Illustrator 8 or even Illustrator 3 format. It will flatten layering in the document and perhaps break some AI-dependent "live" effects. But any of those kinds of effects should be flattened into actual editable vectors before being exported to another program in the first place.

3. Derf

Derf Very Active Member

I can open CS files fine with flexi however you must expand the appearance and any effects or make the image raster for printing and save as PDF with a color profile.

However I always export the art files as a cut file AI 3.0 such as ---->( Bobs_Tires_CUT.ai ) and print files I bring into Photoshop and save as PDF then save the original file for future use.

4. txsurfer

txsurfer Member

Oct 29, 2005
    Texas
    Save as 8.0 and go, that is the way we have been doing it for three yrs?