• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flexi Cloud for Mac?

Doyle

I have been running Flexi Cloud on my PC and have been using Flexisign for design/output for years. I am in the market for a new laptop and would like to be able to run flexisign on it. I have been looking at possibly purchasing a new macbook pro, but after researching, I am not finding any information as to whether I can even run Flexi Cloud on a Mac? I am not interested in doing design work in illustrator to import into Flexi at my shop, I want to be designing in Flexisign. Are there any options for me? Is running bootcamp on the Mac a solution? I have never even owned a Mac, but just looking at the possibility right now seems that I am kind of stuck. Anyone out there running Flexicloud in bootcamp, or can anyone lend any advice, should I just stick with PC and forget about Mac all together?

Thanks in advance!

Steph_Stamm

Hi Doyle - SAi is no longer moving forward with development for a Flexi Mac product, so if you get a new laptop and want to work with Flexi, you may want to consider a Windows computer. Some people have had success running in bootcamp, but SAi doesn't endorse or support that set up. Give your reseller or SAi a call for more info: 1800.229.9066.

Doyle

Thank you for the reply. I would like to hear from someone who has run the Windows application on a Mac using bootcamp before I make a decision.

Doyle

Figured I would post an update for anyone who has this same question in the future....

I bought a macbook pro 13" a little over a week ago. I also purchased Parallels for the mac ($80) and also a copy of Windows 7 to install within Parallels. I am not using this laptop for production, and the only Windows application that I really need to run is Flexi. Parallels is different from Bootcamp in that it does not install to a partition that you would have to boot into, but rather acts as a standalone piece of software within OS X, you open the application and boot up a virtual machine running Windows 7 in a separate window. It has worked pretty well so far, I am really impressed as to how smoothly Windows 7 runs using this method. Flexi seems to run pretty well within the virtual machine, and I am able to access all of my files stored on the mac. I am using Google Drive to sync files between computers and I can access all of these files within Windows 7 on the Macbook.

One other thing that I really like about Parallels is that it gives you options as to how much of your Mac's memory you would like to allocate to running Windows. You can cap the memory usage wherever you'd like (I have mine set to 2gb) and it doesn't really seem to effect the performance of OS X running Parallels side-by-side with other Mac apps running (I have 8gb of ram total).

Whether or not SAI officially supports this setup, it is working well so far for me.