• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flexi Cloud Update SP5 Build 2898

WildWestDesigns

Look sometimes at the task manager of your installation. there are permanently a bunch of tasks running parallel on your computer. And your computer consists of a lot of different components with their specific drivers.

Some of those tasks can be disabled using MSConfig. That was one trick that I used to speed up Vista as there were quite a bit of startup tasks that were bogging the system down with truly unnecessary startup tasks that were redundant (not all the time, but some of the time).

Sometimes these softwares, specially these ones who drives proprietary hardware directly, consists of a lot of third party modules, including drivers, import filters and much more. So it could be a big effort to adopt them to new possibilities.

Sure there are. Usually those can be seen in one of the Help menu options, as they usually list the EULA for each of those components (or at least a blurb of the 3rd party's EULA). I think for the longest time that even the spell check module in Word was a 3rd party module (may still be, it's been a looooooonnnnnggg time since I messed with Word).

This is one of the main hurdles that most people don't realize that makes their request of Open Sourcing software that a vendor is "killing".

One of my favorite digitizing programs used a 3rd party module to handle PDF exporting (and that caused issues in one update). Even the 3D visualization in that same program was a 3rd party rendering engine.

Some of these "new possibilities" have already been implemented in other programs and it is quickly becoming more of the standard and they are being left behind in that manner. I would think that a little bit of prioritizing would be a good thing to make sure that they are still relevant with new tech.

A lot of neccessary program changes and modifications with every operating system update was one cause which kills Flexi Mac. Could be that you have a wrong idea about companies like SAi and their ressources to keep their software up-to-date with every little detail.

Anything is possible.

I am not unsympathetic to the plight of software development. I wasn't apart of the horde going after a couple of vendors that didn't have their drivers or program software ready for getgo when High Sierra was first released. And the horde's main argument as to why they should have been ready as the Beta of High Sierra had been out there for quiet some time. And of course, we had the ironic Su bug issue after the release of High Sierra as well (or the irony).

The closed source software development pipeline has it's pros and cons, but the biggest con (in my mind) is that it moves glacially, just due to the inherent nature of being closed. That's just the fact of the matter. I release at least some of the pros and some of the other cons of Closed versus Open, but development is inherent slower and that does have a direct impact on resources that you mention earlier.

When I came onboard one open source project, it was only supported on Linux (which would have been fine with me as that was the OS that I was switching to). In the space of 2 yrs, it has Windows and Mac support. It's portable, even with the dependencies it needs, that's all bundled together in each release, so if something else changes (like going from Python 2 to Python 3), it has little to no impact on the program. There have been a lot of other back end changes, some of which aren't found at all on the closed source variants, those that are are only on the expensive versions of those programs.

Compare that to one closed source program that is only Windows support (so that's not a drag on resources) and it's still 32 bit (which is something else that isn't dragging on resources) even though it's latest release was 1.5 yrs ago.

Again, I would stipulate the closed nature of software development does run at a much much slower pace. It does have pros and cons outside of that, but that is a big con (for me anyway).

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm pragmatic and will use the software that gets the job done, open or closed that doesn't matter. I prefer open and that's actually a total reality now as there was only one program type that was the hold out (in my case and only my case), but I use what works for the job at hand.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
So back on Flexi. Seems to be fine with the current update. I have discovered one pretty annoying bug in Designer though. The bottom scroll bar. If you touch the slider it always jumps to the left as far as possible instantly taking everything you were looking at way off screen to the right. You cannot just drag the slider back to the middle either, if you do it just jumps to the full left position again. You have to click the bar to the right of the slider a hundred or however many times is necessary to get your art back in the middle of the screen.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
So I sent Sai support a message regarding the above. It is a definitely a bug. Happens when you zoom in enough that it makes the scroll slider block smaller (on mine it is the last three sizes that the block will be). At the three smallest block sizes if I click on the block itself to drag it to scroll it immediately jumps all the way to the end. Highly annoying to me. It does it on both the horizontal and vertical blocks too. I can use my mouse scroll wheel to get around the vertical on but my mouses other scroll (Logitech MX Master has a left/right scroll wheel too) wheel just makes it jump all the way to the left.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Man, I wish I hadn't updated. Production Manager is buggy as f*(k. Shuts off randomly, and when I am deleting jobs I am done with, it just goes in to spinning circle mode. I guess I need to reinstall it when I have time. Really messing with my schedule as we're pretty busy.

eahicks

So back on Flexi. Seems to be fine with the current update. I have discovered one pretty annoying bug in Designer though. The bottom scroll bar. If you touch the slider it always jumps to the left as far as possible instantly taking everything you were looking at way off screen to the right. You cannot just drag the slider back to the middle either, if you do it just jumps to the full left position again. You have to click the bar to the right of the slider a hundred or however many times is necessary to get your art back in the middle of the screen.
Just hit Ctrl+M if it takes you off your art.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
CTRL+M just turns the color mixer window off/on??? I should clarify - this is in the Designer part.

Not really had any issues other than the scroll bar bug with this new version. Production manager has been stable for us. There was a jacked up version I mentioned at the start of the thread though - that one was a nightmare.

bannertime

Man, I wish I hadn't updated. Production Manager is buggy as f*(k. Shuts off randomly, and when I am deleting jobs I am done with, it just goes in to spinning circle mode. I guess I need to reinstall it when I have time. Really messing with my schedule as we're pretty busy.

Probably won't help, we had to revert because it kept closing during the middle of jobs. We did a full wipe and reinstall twice with no luck.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Make sure you do not have build 2878 which they pulled after they realized Production Manager had serious issues and was doing exactly that. 2878 would just close in the middle of print jobs, sometimes it would take forever for a job to send to it from a remote design computer, sometimes it would not even finish ripping a job and crash, and for us was also causing issues with our Summa cutter.

Again, just to be clear that was the problems we had with 2878 which they pulled. The current and working version is 2898. Other than the annoying scroll block bug in Designer 2898 has been rock solid for us.

Also if you do downgrade back to an older version just installing to the same folder, it does work fine but you might get an error on starting Flexi about some file. Just note the name of that file and then go delete it. Then the old version you downgraded to will startup fine and all your old jobs, etc will be there. On other important difference in the newer version is that, at least for a Summa S160T cutter, is that the default OPOS mark spacing changed. So if you have jobs sitting in Production Manager that were created with both versions you might have some problems with cutting either older jobs if you have the new version or newer jobs if you downgraded.

bannertime

Again, just to be clear that was the problems we had with 2878 which they pulled. The current and working version is 2898..

We definitely checked that. It was for sure 2898 that was giving us issues. I didn't try the update until a few days after this post was made. We did at least two overwrite installs from SP3 and SP4 and a fresh wipe just to make sure everything was good. The only issue we had was the random crashes, and that's a deal breaker. Everything else was great.

eahicks

CTRL+M just turns the color mixer window off/on??? I should clarify - this is in the Designer part.

Not really had any issues other than the scroll bar bug with this new version. Production manager has been stable for us. There was a jacked up version I mentioned at the start of the thread though - that one was a nightmare.
CTRL+M is zoom to all objects as long as I can remember. One of my everyday shortcuts.
Color Mixer on or off is just M.