• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flexi font files?

high impact

I just purchased the signfonts special that ends today and was wondering if there is a way of creating another separate file for holding just these and some other corel fonts? I hate to remove all these junk fonts I have used in the past; just to have to reload one at a time as I try to open files that may use the old fonts.

I hope this made sense...

:Oops:

PS I have learned a ton about fonts hanging around on this site...thanks!

Steve C.

Using Corels Bitstream Font Navigator you can create special font folders
for specific fonts that you want to keep separated. But, I don't think that will
serve the purpose you are looking for. And unfortunatly, you will have to
close and reopen Flexi each time a font is installed or uninstalled.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I just purchased the signfonts special that ends today and was wondering if there is a way of creating another separate file for holding just these and some other corel fonts? I hate to remove all these junk fonts I have used in the past; just to have to reload one at a time as I try to open files that may use the old fonts.

Unfortunately installed fonts go in one single level directory. You can use lots of font manager packages to create collections of fonts based on whatever your prejudices might be and show you these collections as if they actually meant something. They only have meaning to the particualr font manager than constructed the collections.

I should think that you're looking for the same holy grail of fontdom that everyone else is. That being a hierarchical list of fonts when you drop down a font list in an application preparatory to selecting a font. This doesn't appear to be possible under Windows. All you can there have is one massive non-hierarchical collection it would seem.

high impact

I was afraid that the answer would be you can't do that in windows. i was hoping that Flexi itself could classify the different fonts. The sign font collection comes named with "AS" before the name so I left that in the title when I installed so they come up first in the list. That's the best way I see to do it.

Yes, i do have corel but bob said it perfectly (I think) that it's just a "collection" to be a collection...you still have to repoen flexi to install and that would not work with my schedule! ;-) LOL

I may try to load the corel fonts I use often with a letter "a" in front of the font name so they come up first in the list as well. I assume you can rename fonts? Never tried it before...I will though later.

I was just trying to find a better way of organizing all these fonts!!! I've got way too many. I know...I know..."rookie mistake" LOL Guilty as charged - I've only been doing this about 3 years.

Thanks for the replies everybody...I am always amazed at the expertise offered here.

Windows is defiantly a step or two behind mac when it comes to font management In regards to auto activation and activation on the fly. Which can both be done with Suitcase Fusion.

signage

High Impact I can not answer on flexi but when i add fonts through bitstream they do show up in sinlab without having to restart.

chopper

if I understand you correctly you wish to create diffrent categories for your fonts within flexi?
I do not have much experience with flexi but in sign lab you can ceate diffrent categories like script, cartoon, goth etc... you should be able to do that in flexi also..is this what you mean??
//chopper

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Yep. Flexi requires a re-launch when font changes are made. CASmate did as well.

Years ago I used Adobe Type Manager Deluxe to create special font sets and activate/deactivate them.

After awhile of doing that, I grew tired of it. The process actually complicated things and wasted time. Not to mention all those fonts would threaten to gum up win.ini and bog down the system.

Today, I just keep a minimal number of "often used fonts" installed and clean out others on a regular basis. Sometimes I'll clean out a lot more and go with something entirely different.

high impact

It's hard to believe that a high end (expensive) program doesn't have any classification for fonts...but it doesn't. Not what i can find anyway.

I've found that every time I change fonts I must restart Flexi - the longer I do this the more frustrated I get with Flexi. I guess all these programs have their pros and cons...

Does anybody know how many fonts you can actually install on windows?

wsigns

I currently have 3458 fonts installed, running flexi 8.1 . Small 1 man 1 dog shop with digital files going back to 1993 any of which could walk in and ask to see the last thing they ordered. Not enough time in the day to find, reload and reboot the box and still keep going on the dead line stuff. My plan is to just keep loading them (fonts) in there till is starts to squeal.