• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flexi/Gerber Issues

I recently got a new laptop and switched my Flexi software over to it. I copied all the files from my old computer and moved them over also. After a little bit of work I got my Edge and Envison working on the new setup. Today I printed a job on the Edge with no problems, but then when I tried to cut on the Envision it wasn’t receiving the information. After a lot of trial and error, downloading and re downloading drivers and changing ports, I finally found a USB port and a production manager port setting (COM 3) that worked. Then I went back to print another job and now the printer doesn’t work! The only usb option I have for ports in Production Manager is “USB001” and when I send to that it either sends and doesn’t make it to the printer, or I get the “cannot open port” message. When it does go through a “printer for usb001” pops up in my hardware and devices. Any ideas?

WildWestDesigns

This may not be it, but I'm fairly certain that there was an issue with USB breaking in the latest Win 10 update (1803), supposedly they got a new patch out for it, but may want to make sure if you are up to date on that, if you keep your computer on a WAN (something I wouldn't do for a production rig).

Make sure that you have KB4090913.

Again, that may not be it, I just know that it's been a common issue on the latest Win 10 update of breaking USB connections (I think the fault was a race condition during install (things were skipped during the process or sometimes removes the correct drivers (which it shouldn't do at all, but I digress))).

spooledUP7

I recently got a new laptop and switched my Flexi software over to it. I copied all the files from my old computer and moved them over also. After a little bit of work I got my Edge and Envison working on the new setup. Today I printed a job on the Edge with no problems, but then when I tried to cut on the Envision it wasn’t receiving the information. After a lot of trial and error, downloading and re downloading drivers and changing ports, I finally found a USB port and a production manager port setting (COM 3) that worked. Then I went back to print another job and now the printer doesn’t work! The only usb option I have for ports in Production Manager is “USB001” and when I send to that it either sends and doesn’t make it to the printer, or I get the “cannot open port” message. When it does go through a “printer for usb001” pops up in my hardware and devices. Any ideas?

Is this a Gerber Edge FX, or Edge1/2? I am assuming that you have an FX based on the USB, unless you are using a USB to Parallel adapter. If it's an FX then you can look in your Windows Device Manager and see if it's showing up in the USB device list. If it's a USB adapter then you should see it under Ports (COM & LPT) as USB Serial Port (COM XX) for the cutter, and USB LPT Port (LPT XX) for the printer.

Since you were able to make the printer work that makes me think you just need to make sure you are selecting the correct port. Rebooting the computer would be my first fix. USB001 may be the correct port number, and a reboot could solve the issue. When sending the print make sure your printer is set to ONLINE or else you will get Cannot Open Port.

If there is still a connection issue then try using a different USB port to force the computer to renegotiate the device. Then check your Device Manager to make sure the system sees your device. Then relaunch Production Manager.
Finally - THIS IS ONLY FOR EDGE 2 - While I can't see why this would have changed - Check your setup to make sure the printer setup properties within the production manager shows ECP enabled and not EPP. If you are using a USB parallel port adapter it needs to create an ECP port emulation. How you get there is specific to your adapter. I have in the past found Windows XP LPT Printer drivers ParPort.sys and ParPot.VXD and replaced the stock files with them.

Hi, I am in a similar situation with an Edge 2. My usb to parallel adapter does not create a LPT port, only a USB001...which does nor work. can you elaborate more on the parport.sys and vxd? what exacly I need to do?
thanks

davedavedave

Hi, I am in a similar situation with an Edge 2. My usb to parallel adapter does not create a LPT port, only a USB001...which does nor work. can you elaborate more on the parport.sys and vxd? what exacly I need to do?
thanks

i got it working over the usb0001...
but the weird thing is...
if i import AI files and try to print them i get a data error 3....
but if i create the stuff in flexi it seams to work...
still not sure what this is about!!!

anybody had the same?