• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

flexi key

sinetist

It happened to to me once ... had to buy a new one and have it shipped. Slowed things down for a few days.

bernie

sai told me there is no key available for this version and upgrading flexi is not
in the budget just to get a new key.

I sure am hoping someone has a way around these darn keys

FrankW

sai told me there is no key available for this version and upgrading flexi is not in the budget just to get a new key.

Strange, because the currently used USB Safenet Sentinel-Dongles (for Flexi 8 to 10) can be used for Flexi 7.6 too. We (dealer in europe) do such exchanges on a regular basis.

Is the dongle-hardware broken? Or will it just not recognized anymore by the software? If it is not recognized anymore, you can try to re-install the dongle-driver with loading it from the Website of the Dongle-manufacturer. If you have for example a HASP4 USB-Dongle, you can download the driver from www.safenet-inc.com.

bernie

Frank,

Both, the silver tip came off a long time ago but I have still been able to use
it.
Yesterday, I put the flexi key back in the computer as it had been in for repair and I got hot smell and then when I went to remove it, it was hot enough to
let my fingers know this was not good.

I have a few jobs that have to get cut and ... no flexi key so I'm scrambling
here.

Thanks for your reply and the others too.

Bernie

Drip Dry

sai told me there is no key available for this version and upgrading

How is it that SAI can just say... not available for that version. You paid for the use of the software. They put a dongle on it to stop you from making copies. Is it your fault their dongle is bad. If you have it physically, then they should replace it or give you something that works

bernie

what cutter do you have?

I run the Allen Datagraph 830 plotter and cut 'thick' stencil as I do
rock engraving.

I would hate to think I'd have to dump flexi because of a dongle key
and am pretty frustrated as I am shut down. Can't access a thing as
flexi won't open without it.

Bernie

signage

If you have the dongle you have the license so find one of the hacks that beat the dongle and use it! It is not illegal to do it as long as you have the dongle!

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Flexi does not make the dongle. Aladdin has not made that style parallel dongle in severals years. Flexi 7.6 is about 10, yes 10 years old. In computer and software terms that is an antique relic. Just how long should a company be required to keep supporting and providing parts for something?

I feel bad for OP but I cannot fault SAI after this amount of time. Car manufacturers do not even have to make parts for a car model after that amount of time.

How is it that SAI can just say... not available for that version. You paid for the use of the software. They put a dongle on it to stop you from making copies. Is it your fault their dongle is bad. If you have it physically, then they should replace it or give you something that works

jim wood

I do not know if this would help you.
If so let me know
muto pic.jpg

bernie

Flexi does not make the dongle. Aladdin has not made that style parallel dongle in severals years. Flexi 7.6 is about 10, yes 10 years old. In computer and software terms that is an antique relic. Just how long should a company be required to keep supporting and providing parts for something?

I feel bad for OP but I cannot fault SAI after this amount of time. Car manufacturers do not even have to make parts for a car model after that amount of time.

This is not a used car where used parts are readily available. This is a dongle key that fried and no one can seem to give me an answer on how to bypass it as the software works fine but is shut down because of some stupid dongle key. One would think, legit owner of this software that there would be a way to bypass this dongle key.

Whether an older version or not, this was not upgraded until long after 8.whatever was available. After years of issues with SAI's tech support, I went as far as 7.6v2 and stopped. All of my equipment runs well with this version and there is no reason to upgrade when the type of work I do has not changed. Having the newest version of anything does not make me more money.

I don't use my software like most on the forum. I use it to tweak designs and do layouts for cutting thick stencil for sandblasting on rock and occasional glass carved signs for businesses. I don't do production work and may use my flexi for a few hours here and there. Old version or not, the fried dongle key is the problem not the age/version of the software.

Bernie

Vital Designs

Vital Designs
I had the exact same issue and upgrading was the only option.

My issue was that I ran it on an old xp machine with parallel ports attached to an edge. I have not been able to find a parallel card or usb-parallel adapter that will work on our other newer rip stations.

There may be techs out there that have upgraded customers and have the old dongles which may or may not work with the right key.

bernie

Thanks to all who responded and offered some ideas on my fried dongle
key.

Problem solved ... yup. Found someone who hasn't used flexi in years and was able to pick up their old program.

Lesson learned here ... I intend to clean up all of my old flexi files and save them in another format other than just flexi so if something like this ever happens again, I can at least access my own files.

The other lesson learned here ... I have never been fond of these dongle
keys ... now I really don't like them!

And, its probably time I learn that version of Illustrator that I purchased quite awhile back that has been sitting here untouched. This fried dongle
forced me to finally open it up and get it installed. A lot of good that did me. I just sat there and stared at it. I'm clueless! Boy, I hate change and it took me forever to learn flexi and this Illustrator looks even more difficult. Yikes!

Bernie

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Boy, I hate change and it took me forever to learn flexi and this Illustrator looks even more difficult. Yikes!

Bernie

Bernie,

I'm currently running 3 design programs along side each other (SignLab, Illustrator and AutoCad). I've found there exists a wonderful symbiosis that compounds the usefulness of each.

JB