• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flexi on second computer

I am needing to have flexi on 2 computers. One is in my office where I cut vinyl and deal with customers. The other is in my shop hook up to mutoh printer. I'm tired of taking the dongle back and forth. How can I get flexi on both computers. Today signwarehouse told me I had to buy 2nd software but they will discount it to 2500. Come on.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sign Works

I have purchased a "second site license" for Flexi several times and have never paid anywhere near $2500. It's been quite some time but I believe it was more like $700 - $800

fillupc

You do not need to buy another copy. The dongle can be recognized over the network. Now, you can only run one at a time, buy you do not need to continue moving the dongle. I do this everyday. You also have Production Manager running on one computer and Flexi on other with dongle connected to either.

Phillip

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
This.... pretty much how we have it setup. We have one 8.6v2 license. Production Manager always runs on the RIP machine connected to the 2 printers and the cutter. 2 other computers run the actual Flexi Sign but only one can run it at a time - you will get an error if both try to run it at the same time about the license already in use. We effectiveley have the full Flexi installed on all 3 machines and never move the dongle. That stays on the RIP computer which is set to auto-login to the network and has Production Manager in the startup folder so it always runs.

You do not need to buy another copy. The dongle can be recognized over the network. Now, you can only run one at a time, buy you do not need to continue moving the dongle. I do this everyday. You also have Production Manager running on one computer and Flexi on other with dongle connected to either.

Phillip

Barry Jenicek

Poor Man's LAN ... and a fix to your problem

Hey HWG

I had the same problem with Gerber’s OMEGA software with a dongle. The “fix” was quite easy.

I have my thermal printer on the second floor and my CNC router on the first floor. Like you, I would carry the dongle up and down to the system I was using at the time.

Here is what I did to correct the problem.

I purchased a BELKIN – USB Peripheral Switch (Mod # F1U201) http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=134172

Using the switch, I plugged the dongle into the single port. Then, I ran a cable from the upstairs system and one from the downstairs system plugging them into the dual ports on the other side of the switch. Load up the Belkin software and problem fixed.

When I launch my CNC software downstairs, OMEGA searches for the dongle and does not find it. Omega then asks if I want to run in design mode or if I want to try and find the dongle again. At that time, I simply “Switch” the Belkin using the switching software and tell Omega to search again. It finds the dongle and I’m ready to use the Gerber Software downstairs.

I call this setup my “Poor Man’s LAN”. Naturally, I can use only one system at a time because the software polls for the dongle periodically.

You can purchase the Belkin on e-bay anywhere from $27.00 - $36.00.

Barry

iSign

How the he'll are ya Barry... I think I met you and your dad (or son? Names blur together anymore...) at one of Gary's effected meets 6 or 7 years ago...

Anyway, thanks for a great tip!! I'm no network guru, and reading how others get these network access configurations working always make me fear something easy to type will turn into weeks of hair pulling, life shortening aggravation but your post clearly outlines an easy solution I might just have to take advantage of some day!!