• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

FLEXI Question

Argento Miami

Learning Everyday
Hello!

I am about to pay for Flexi software, because i have heard that is way easier and faster to do things in this biz.

My question is:

Can i take a picture of a store window and assign the measurements of each window easily and fast?
So i can do a fast "design" of a the window for the customer while there.

I am about to pay for the flexi cloud...but i just want to make sure it is worth.
I am already paying adobe cloud....

Anyway

Thanks!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
It may be or it might not be ... depends on you. I suggest you just sign up for a month to be sure it's for you.

Yes, you can scale your pictures to full size in Flexi and design in actual sizes you won't have to change later. Same for vehicle graphics.

brycesteiner

I really don't care for Flexi but I think it is a "must". It integrates cutting and printing and it can import PDF's made from Illustrator or Indesign pretty well. There are somethings thought that it does really well and others that I just get frustrated with such as color lists. The colors in the program look like it was something from Windows 3.1 using Bitmap. Don't expect your pictures, graphics, text, etc. to look like they do in Indesign, Affinity or about any other modern application. But they do print and cut right. It's nice to see your cuts before hand and it does a pretty good job letting you adjust them, but there is a learning curve.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
The colors in the program look like it was something from Windows 3.1 using Bitmap. Don't expect your pictures, graphics, text, etc. to look like they do in Indesign, Affinity or about any other modern application.
Not sure what you mean....are you talking about the default colors? You do know you can pull up tons of color palettes, or simply create your own. I keep the entire Pantone Coated palette open at all times, and have created nearly every "standard" color we use (blues, reds, black, etc...) Don't see a whole lot of difference in how a file appears in Flexi versus Illy or anything else like you mention.

brycesteiner

Not sure what you mean....are you talking about the default colors? You do know you can pull up tons of color palettes, or simply create your own. I keep the entire Pantone Coated palette open at all times, and have created nearly every "standard" color we use (blues, reds, black, etc...) Don't see a whole lot of difference in how a file appears in Flexi versus Illy or anything else like you mention.
I'm talking about any graphics brought in looks like some kind of 8 bit graphics. Something that is a green such as a 341 in Indesign will look like a florescent green in Flexi. it does this to all kinds of colors. It prints right though.

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
I'm talking about any graphics brought in looks like some kind of 8 bit graphics. Something that is a green such as a 341 in Indesign will look like a florescent green in Flexi. it does this to all kinds of colors. It prints right though.

That is most likely your Soft Proof settings are in correct. You can try to toggle Soft Proof on and off and you will see a difference.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Bingo. Came back to say that. If you color calibrate your monitor, the soft proof setting should mimic the calibrated correct colors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Hello!

I am about to pay for Flexi software, because i have heard that is way easier and faster to do things in this biz.
Who did you hear this from? How good are you at your current software? Everyone has an opinion on this... I have Flexi and Corel, I prefer Adobe Illustrator with CadTools...

My question is:

Can i take a picture of a store window and assign the measurements of each window easily and fast?
You can do this easily and fast with Illustrator (with CadTools), Corel, Flexi or any software with scale tools with some practice...

I am about to pay for the flexi cloud...but i just want to make sure it is worth.

Anyway

Thanks!

I design/layout more than signs so Illustrator is a must for me.

Since a few signs have a code attached, or may need to be reviewed by a municipality, designing in scale may need to be required. I also think Illustrator makes for a better presentation, I believe presentation is key to making a sale.... it can be done in Flexi, but if you are already proficient in Illustrator, why switch?

Argento Miami

Learning Everyday
It may be or it might not be ... depends on you. I suggest you just sign up for a month to be sure it's for you.

Yes, you can scale your pictures to full size in Flexi and design in actual sizes you won't have to change later. Same for vehicle graphics.

Thank you for your response!
It is cool that works the same way with vehicles graphics....i guess i can allign the picture of the van with its template...in order to have measurements properly, and at the same time be able to show the graphics on the car fast!

Thanks again!

I really don't care for Flexi but I think it is a "must". It integrates cutting and printing and it can import PDF's made from Illustrator or Indesign pretty well. There are somethings thought that it does really well and others that I just get frustrated with such as color lists. The colors in the program look like it was something from Windows 3.1 using Bitmap. Don't expect your pictures, graphics, text, etc. to look like they do in Indesign, Affinity or about any other modern application. But they do print and cut right. It's nice to see your cuts before hand and it does a pretty good job letting you adjust them, but there is a learning curve.

Thanks!
I think i will purchase one month to try as another member said.
I noticed that you had that issue with colors looking changed and 8 bit.
And this thread has resolved that issue for you....and also open eyes for me and others when encountering same issue.

Thanks again!

I design/layout more than signs so Illustrator is a must for me.

Since a few signs have a code attached, or may need to be reviewed by a municipality, designing in scale may need to be required. I also think Illustrator makes for a better presentation, I believe presentation is key to making a sale.... it can be done in Flexi, but if you are already proficient in Illustrator, why switch?

thank you for the response.
I am not proficient in Adobe products...i am a beginner, actually.
I have a friend in college, so thru him I was able to get the adobe cloud at 19 bucks per month.....so i have it.....and i am learning it....but the learning curve is hard for me.
And i need to get done with work the easiest and fastest way possible.

I am learning Illustrator....but i really suck. any good videos or tutorials that you would recommend?

thank you!!

AF

Classroom in a Book will teach where all the controls are in Adobe products, but it won't make you an artist or designer. You can root around in the built-in help to figure out some of the basics. Just pick a project to do and work your way through it, then any tutorials you view will be more meaningful. Once you get the hang of it, you will appreciate how well developed the software is. It has come a long way from the early days of DTP and runs great on windows or mac.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
So I read your intro but it still doesn't say much....
From what I gather, you have been doing signs for a year?

How long have you been doing layout or design?

A few people will disagree with me but, all software is hard (or easy)
depending on how talented you are and the time you take to develop
the skill to use it. Having used nearly every vector and sign software
out there... they are all very similar.

Being software proficient does not make you good at design and layout.
You need to learn both at the same time...

I find that having better design skills makes you more proficient than
mastering your software.... software skills will come in time simply by
practicing, layout and design skills takes effort and mastering the design
process.

For learning Illustrator and some design skills, I highly suggest
www.lynda.com and www.skillshare.com

Flexi does not have as much online resources for learning, but you can try:
http://learnflexi.com

I hesitate in recommending this book because it has flaws in it but good for
learning the sign design process and presentation:
Inside Sign Design (eBook)

I would probably subscribe to:
Signcraft Magazine

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Thank you for your response!
It is cool that works the same way with vehicles graphics....i guess i can allign the picture of the van with its template...in order to have measurements properly, and at the same time be able to show the graphics on the car fast!

Thanks again!

Not sure why you would want to make the photo align with a template. The photo is simply squared and scaled up and it becomes your template when opened in Flexi. Here's a copy/paste of an old tutorial I did to show the steps involved. The only difference is that I am using Gerber Omega instead of Flexi. The same principles apply with either program.

Here's a step by step to make a vehicle template from a digital photo.

1. Begin by taking your photos from as perpendicular a position to each side to be lettered as possible. Take a horizontal reference measurement at the same time. It should be a good sized measurement for best accuracy later. On a van, for example, I usually measure from the driver's door to the taillight.

2. Now bring the photo into a photo editing application. In this case we are using Adobe Photoshop 6.0. You can adjust your image brightness and contrast so as to best see body details and look good if you are presenting it to the client for approval. Now we will rotate the photo to a level position so our layout can be properly positioned. Use the measuring tool to lay down a horizontal line following your best visual horizontal reference point on the vehicle. I am using the center molding in my example.

394Vehicle_Template_01.jpg

3. Rotate the photo to horizontal using Photoshop's Rotate Canvas command and the arbitrary setting. This will cause a dialog to appear with the measuring tool angle all filled in for you. Click okay.

You may also want to crop your photo at this time to eliminate angled edges on the canvas.

394Vehicle_Template_02.jpg

4. Now open the photo in your signmaking or design application. In this case I am using Gerber Omega. Draw a box to fit the reference measurement you took at the time of the photo taking. Zoom in at each end to make a fine adjustment for accurate fit.

394Vehicle_Template_03.jpg

5. Select the box and begin the execution of an Absolute Size command. Insure that any control on whether or not the change is to be proportional is turned on. Enter the reference measurement you took initially and note the percentage of size change. In this case it is 333.7%. Cancel the Absolute Size.

394Vehicle_Template_04.jpg

6. Select all and execute a Percentage Size Change command. Insure that any control on whether or not the change is to be proportional is turned on. Enter the percentage from the previous step. Click Okay to execute the size change.

394Vehicle_Template_05.jpg

7. Delete the horizontal box. Your photo is now at full scale ready for you to do your layout right on it.

394Vehicle_Template_06.jpg

This post takes longer to read than it takes to do this. It's really easy and useful. Try it and watch your layout options improve as you see things like door handles and emblems and are able to work around them. Proof your clients and watch your crediblity and approval rating soar.

Argento Miami

Learning Everyday
So I read your intro but it still doesn't say much....
From what I gather, you have been doing signs for a year?

How long have you been doing layout or design?

A few people will disagree with me but, all software is hard (or easy)
depending on how talented you are and the time you take to develop
the skill to use it. Having used nearly every vector and sign software
out there... they are all very similar.

Being software proficient does not make you good at design and layout.
You need to learn both at the same time...

I find that having better design skills makes you more proficient than
mastering your software.... software skills will come in time simply by
practicing, layout and design skills takes effort and mastering the design
process.
I would probably subscribe to:
Signcraft Magazine

Hey Rick Thanks for your response!
I was working for a print shop....so i would sell more than design and layout my self.....
I have a good eye for design, so in the store i would be responsible for communicating with designers....and guiding them to what we needed in each specific job. -hearing their responses also, and applying changes when their request made sense-

So since by now i have seen and been part of the creative group.....i think i could become a good designer. But i need to learn to use the software well.
Yesterday i was trying to vectorize a basic logo with only letters in Illustrator....I couldn't yet. do it properly.... ;(

I already suscribed to signcraft magazine based on your recommendation.
I will also keep practicing in the meantime....but I am trying to work mostly with templates in the meantime.....so i get some money in the bank. ;)

Thank you again!

Argento Miami

Learning Everyday
Not sure why you would want to make the photo align with a template. The photo is simply squared and scaled up and it becomes your template when opened in Flexi. Here's a copy/paste of an old tutorial I did to show the steps involved. The only difference is that I am using Gerber Omega instead of Flexi. The same principles apply with either program.
This post takes longer to read than it takes to do this. It's really easy and useful. Try it and watch your layout options improve as you see things like door handles and emblems and are able to work around them. Proof your clients and watch your crediblity and approval rating soar.

WOW man!
Thank you for all this effort. It is a big help for me.

This seems like THE WAY for me......no need for template. Awesome.

I guess i could do all that in illustrator, right?

Gerber Omega is like Flexi?

Thank you!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
WOW man!
Thank you for all this effort. It is a big help for me.

This seems like THE WAY for me......no need for template. Awesome.

I guess i could do all that in illustrator, right?

Gerber Omega is like Flexi?

Thank you!

To insure the accuracy needed for vehicle wraps, templates may be a better choice if you get into wraps. Photo enlargement is fine for most things though.

You could do it in Illustrator but you would have to scale down in cases of a vehicle or structure being too large to fit. In Flexi there are no size limits.

Gerber Omega is like Flexi in most cases. The main difference is that it is geared to Gerber hardware while Flexi is open architecture.

Showoffs

SHOWOFFS
Hello!

My question is:

Anyway

Thanks!
LXI Software does all Flexi does at Half or even more Less....Signwarehouse sells it