• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flexi runs choppy? crashes

SignProPlus-Chip

Both Illustrator and Photoshop run smooth as silk on my system. But Flexi is just, well choppy. Dragging item across the workspace is a nightmare. Sometimes they vanish while dragging them, so you cannot see where your placing them.

I figure I may have a bottleneck somewhere on my system...can't image how, since I run Adobe CS5 suite all day long without a hiccup.

4 gigs of ram
gigs and gigs of free disk space
Pentium 4 3000MHz
ATI Radeon 9550 256mb

Speaking of ATI, I also get the infamous ATI ati2dvag.dll infinite loop bluescreen of death. I have NEVER had a BOD on this system until running Flexi. BOD twice in the last month, but Flexi also crashes just about every day.

Any ideas? Any tweaks withing Flexi itself I should be aware of?

HulkSmash

you might have a ton of stuff saved in production manager. Stuff like Cut files, and large print files. Try deleting those.

MakeMyGraphic

I notice this on my system sometimes too, but it only happens when I either have too many large images with various effects added to them or I am using the color white and drag that across areas (that item vanishes) is it anything like that?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I dunno. In my opinion it's probably just the computer showing its age considering the Pentium 4 processor was introduced in November 2000. By computer standards that is an antique relic. It could just be coincidence that the machine is starting to really show it's age as some of the components on the motherboard and whatnot have to be getting pretty old. Different applications use different segmements of memory in different ways. Often times just because one application might cause a system to run ba might not actually be a fault of that application. It could just be that application uses some specific bit of memory (not just system ram but cache, video ram, etc) that no other application happens to ever address and possibly uncovered a problem.

Regardless of the age of the machine though Flexi 8 and above as well as CS5 and above are really pushing a Pentium 4 class machine to it's limits. Again just my opinion though and I'll probably get flamed for it in some way.

Steve G.

Any ideas? Any tweaks withing Flexi itself I should be aware of? [/QUOTE said:
Yes, go to: Edit > Preferences > uncheck "smooth screen display"

Won't help the crashing, but smooths out the quirkiness while dragging / selecting.

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
800? that is a lot. Flexi does not like fonts over 500. i have a mac version. i have to keep it regulated. otherwise i get crashes and BUS errors.

Richard G

The Number of Font's loaded i don't believe matters. A lot of that I found has to do with a good font manger as well as a system that is up to the task. I am running a i7 Intel CPU 920 @ 2.67 GHz. 64 bit with 12 mgs of ram. I do beleive that if you have the muscle in the computer your Flexi will handle it. I am Running Flexi-Pro 8.6 with over 2000 fonts loaded and not problems at all. I have been using Flexi since version 3.

thewood

Yes, go to: Edit > Preferences > uncheck "smooth screen display"

Won't help the crashing, but smooths out the quirkiness while dragging / selecting.

Ahh, you beat me to it, Steve G. I had the same issue when we upgraded to v8.

SignBurst PCs

Flexi just might not work well with that particular video card or driver version. Both the choppiness and BSOD with with the ati2dvag.dll as a culprit are evidence of that. This is not a rock solid diagnosis, but a quick thought. I have never been a fan of ATI chipsets with graphic software. I am sure that most of the time they are fine, but I have had enough trouble with them to swear them off for the time being.

OldPaint

when you are running flexi.........CLOSE ALL OTHER PROGRAMS that would be running in the background. this might help the crashing.