• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

FLEXI vs. Onyx 10

Tek Wrap

So I am opening a new shop and trying to cut down on my initial cost without handicapping myself. I have always used Onyx in the past, but I am considering going with Flexi, as I know it's widely used and cost is considerably less.

Is this a bad idea if I am used to the function of Onyx, or are the savings worth going with Flexi?

Any feedback from people who have used both would be great! :)

So I am opening a new shop and trying to cut down on my initial cost without handicapping myself. I have always used Onyx in the past, but I am considering going with Flexi, as I know it's widely used and cost is considerably less.

Is this a bad idea if I am used to the function of Onyx, or are the savings worth going with Flexi?

Comparing FlexiPRO to Onyx (btw version 11 is current now and not 10) is a bit of an oranges to apples comparison. FlexiPRO is an integrated design and fabrication tool, where Onyx is strictly a production RIP (no design). If you plan on using Flexi as a design environment, then this integration can be a benefit. It really boils down to your workflow.

If you are planning on using graphic arts industry standard products to design with (read Adobe or possibly Corel products), then Flexi's integration becomes less of a benefit.

In general terms, Onyx has better media support (more media profiles) than any other RIP product. If you are planning on building custom media profiles, then either RIP is more than capable of producing good output.

player

If you buy a Roland printer/cutter you can save the cost by not buying either. Roland supplies VersaWorks rip with the printer. Design in Corel and or Adobe ( You will need one or both anyway.) and rip from VersaWorks.

Auburnpeanut

I have not used Onyx so I can't say much to it. I used Omega when I got into signs years ago and the shop I work at now uses FlexisignPro. As with all programs there are pros and cons. I will have to say that I overall I have been pleased with Flexi. As was pointed out it does a little bit of everything. What all do you need out of your software? Tell us that and we can give you better recommendations about various programs.

synergy_jim

flexi = design software

onyx = rip software

Like comparing a greyhound to a gorilla….. Not the same purpose or use.

We use adobe software and Caldera as our rip.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Um.... Flexi is a RIP. Flexi has 2 parts. FlexiSign (Designer) the main interface which is the design program and Production Manager which is a true RIP using APPE (Adobe PDF Print Engine) from Adobe. That also happens to be the core RIP engine behind quite a few RIP's. If you have an i1 you can also create your own color profiles without having to buy any extra profiling software or add-on. Properly setup Flexi does work very well and has an incredibly easy print/cut workflow.

Auburnpeanut

Um.... Flexi is a RIP. Flexi has 2 parts. FlexiSign (Designer) the main interface which is the design program and Production Manager which is a true RIP using APPE (Adobe PDF Print Engine) from Adobe. That also happens to be the core RIP engine behind quite a few RIP's. If you have an i1 you can also create your own color profiles without having to buy any extra profiling software or add-on. Properly setup Flexi does work very well and has an incredibly easy print/cut workflow.

I agree.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks

I agree as well. While Flexi may not be perfect, I find it the easiest for my workflow. Making my own Profiles is much easier in Flexi than Versa (with iOne as well). Only downside is Flexi can slow down some if you are ripping large files in Prod. Mgr.... it is best to set up the RIP on another PC, and design with the other. But in general, I prefer Flexi's ripping abilities, ease of nesting, control of files, etc.

jayhawksigns

Workflow.

That is the biggest reason we don't use the copy of Onyx that we have sitting on the shelf collecting dust. I do think there is more potential on the ripping side with Onyx, but for our shop Flexi is just easier and less hassle when it handles everything without having to mess with hot folders and exporting files.

mopar691

I also agree.

Stanton

Use what you know for starters.

You don't get paid to learn new stuff.
That is on your time.

synergy_jim

I stand corrected…. I wasn't aware that flexi would output ripped files….

Workflow wise, I don't see any downside to using a standalone rip with design software. Hot folders and importing are easy as pie….