• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flexi vs Onyx

OK, I've been using Onyx for years, since postershop 5. I have changed jobs and they have an HP L2550 latex, and at the time Flexi was the only software that supported it. I used HP 5000 in the past with Onyx 5 and 6, and with 7 used a Mimaki JV3.

Now, I have to use Flexi to rip, and I understand many people use it, but compared to onyx, its not even close. I am so frustrated trying to rip and plot, I'm on my last nerve.

Example, had 20 some golf signs the other day, and I was told to nest them up you do it manually all in the same file?

Maybe I have the wrong idea of what Flexi is, but it seems like its a dumbed down illustrator with built in rip.

Any tips anyone can give me on how to adjust?

genericname

Maybe I have the wrong idea of what Flexi is, but it seems like its a dumbed down illustrator with built in rip.

I'd say you're dead on.

Unless you're nesting multiples of the same print, yeah, you do need to set them up manually. On the plus side, using the alignment tools, and the "J" command for spacing, it shouldn't take you long, and actually gives you more control over your layout than Onyx does.

That's actually been the only real big adjustment I've been getting used to in going from Flexi TO Onyx. Everything else about Onyx, I love, but damn does it aggravate me that I can't just grab something and shuffle it about in my layout.

Genericname-
Yea, you can actually in productionhouse, just not postershop with version 7. With version 10, I believe both come with a "layout tool"?

And is switching to it an option? I hope, but gotta convince the suits.

SolitaryT

I feel your pain. I recently took a new job in a small sign shop in Alaska. Great place, and awesome variety of clientelle. But, I worked with a flatbed printer, a Mimaki JV5, Wasatch and Onyx, and when I got up here, it's SignLab and VersaWorks... sigh...