• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

FLEXI with Lynx S-60 & SERIAL to USB

humandroid

I'm trying to set up FLEXI with a LYNX S-60 and a SERIAL to USB cable.

This appears to be an early version of the LYNX S-60 because there is no USB port and the serial port is the 25 pin version.

I would like to know the correct serial settings for this LYNX S-60

The problem I am having is that when I send a job to the cutter it appears to send with no errors showing up in FLEXI but the cutter does not respond.

Also, if I try to use "Poll Size" I get the message "Cutter is not responding to Poll Size"

Pro Image

You need a null modem serial cable to go from your usb adapter to you cutter................Radio Shack sell little converters for about 5.00............

humandroid

As you can see in the picture below, I have the Serial to USB cable connected directly to the machine.
So you are saying that I should connect a null modem cable between this cable and the cutter instead of connecting directly?
lynxed6ll6.jpg

gerald

Also, some of the converter cables have to have software installed to get full functionality. Did you install that or did you get any with the cable. If not, you might go to the mfg's web site and see what they say.

humandroid

I installed the drivers for the cable and it seems to be installed correctly.
No conflicts or anything under device manager.
I might note that before rebooting my computer FLEXI could not open the port to send the job.
But now it appears as though the job is being sent but the cutter isn't doing anything.
I'm wondering if I need a different set of settings on the serial port.
I have tried 9600 bps, 8, N, 1, with no flow control and with hardware flow control.
I also tried the same things with 19200 bps.
usblb7.jpg

Pro Image

Yes RS has a little adaptor.....All a null cable is is that 2 wires are switched on 2 pins........I had to get one for my Gerber Fastrack 750.

humandroid

WooooHoooo!
:U Rock:

Thanks Dustin!

I bought the 25 pin null modem adapter #26-1496C
I reset my serial settings to 9600 bps, 8, N, 1, with hardware flow control.
I had to turn everything off and reboot before it worked but it does work now! :thumb:

Now my biggest worry is that I have over 6 inches of plug hanging off the side of the cutter which could be bad news if it gets bumped fairly hard.
plugsb5.jpg

And my next problem is that my blade holder seems to be scuffing the vinyl.
What do I need to adjust to fix that?
Maybe I should post a new topic on that subject elsewhere...

gerald

Is it weeding ok? Sounds like too much downforce pressure. I have a Graphtec so I don't have any exp. with yours.

Pro Image

:thankyou: I would turn the cutter toward a wall with that plug assembly facing to it..........It probably won't hurt any thing.........

On your blade holder..........does it have a thumb screw setup? If it does loosen it and move the holder a little to the top and that should cure your problem for the holder scuffn' the vinyl and as Gerald said also check you down force and blade depth...............

I really don't know much about Lynx cutters:Oops: ........but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night............:thumb: :Big Laugh

gerald

Thats right Dustin. Forgot about the manual adjustment. On mine you can move the blade up and down manually by turning the adjuster. So, try backing off on the manual adjuster which will move the holder up. You may need to add downforce then if the cut is not sufficient.

Greenthorn

Couldn't you get a 25pin serial cable and attach that to your plotter, then at the other end nearer to your computer, install your adapters and converters?

gerald

Yeh, just put a cable between the plotter and the adapter. You could tie the mess of cables and adapters to the leg of the plotter that way.

Slaughter House

I am in EXTREME need of help...

I am having the SAME EXACT PROBLEM Humandroid was having. I read this post last night and went and bought a null modem cable last night. I can not find any drivers on either cable I bought. I have bought the following:

Gender changer from 25 pin M to M because the one from my Lynx S-60 is a female.

25 Pin to USB convert cable.

^ This combination did not work. I still got the same messages as Humandroid.

I read this post and today I tried:

25 pin null modem cable to 9 pin.

Connected to that: 9 pin to USB convert cable.

^ This combination isn't seeming to work either.

I was wondering what port I need to try to be working from?!?

Also, is there a certain USB port I need to have the cable plugged into to make this work?!?

I am running the same settings as described by Humandroid, which if I am not mistaking...those are the factory default settings.

If ANYONE has ANYTHING that could possibly help...PLEASE let me know!

Thank you SO much for your time!

I am having the same issue. I am trying to plot from my Windows 7 Laptop using Flexi 7 to a anagraph 101e. I have no db9 or 25 pin parrell port becuase its a laptop.

I purchased a USB to db 9 pin, installed the device driver and it automatically assiged the device port to COM3 when pluged in. I hooked it up to my extising cable (that worked on my old desktop) but it didnt work. All my info in the device manager under com3 matches that in the production manager plotter setup (9600 bps, 8, , 1, nh,handshaking: hardware, and info in the plotter matches as well.

I was thinking it is the cable, could i also need this null modem converter?

Any other ideas maybe another brand of cable or even a hub? Seems to be alot of cables out there used for printers with alot of good and bad reviews on working. Anyone out there have any first hand expericance on plotting/printers from laptops to older devices without USB support.

Thanks

adieb

fixed?

I am having the same issue. I am trying to plot from my Windows 7 Laptop using Flexi 7 to a anagraph 101e. I have no db9 or 25 pin parrell port becuase its a laptop.

I purchased a USB to db 9 pin, installed the device driver and it automatically assiged the device port to COM3 when pluged in. I hooked it up to my extising cable (that worked on my old desktop) but it didnt work. All my info in the device manager under com3 matches that in the production manager plotter setup (9600 bps, 8, , 1, nh,handshaking: hardware, and info in the plotter matches as well.

I was thinking it is the cable, could i also need this null modem converter?

Any other ideas maybe another brand of cable or even a hub? Seems to be alot of cables out there used for printers with alot of good and bad reviews on working. Anyone out there have any first hand expericance on plotting/printers from laptops to older devices without USB support.

Thanks

Did the null modem thing work for you? I have been scratching my head with this now for a week or two.

I took my Lynx S60 out of retirement to do a few little jobs and found that it doesn´t want to play on my current PC.(XPpro). I have a Com port on my PC but it seems to be constantly open by some other application and prodution manager cannot open it, I can´t find a solution for this, if I can use the USB-serial adapter I will go that way.

So looking here I need a USB- serial adaptor and a null modem adaptor yes?

adieb

JUst to update my situation. I managed to clear the blocked COM1 port issue I had and now it is working as expected. Thanks for some inspiration. 2 weeks wasted.