• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

flexisign pro won't import AI

Abe

Had some problems importing an AI into flexi sign pro. When choosing the file it gives no error message, but the image doesn't show up. Tried resaving it in a million different formats and messing with it for an hour but it won't show up. Eventually copied it to the clipboard and pasted in as a raster image, and created outlines off that. This method, of course, sucks.

Anyone know why it wouldn't import but give no error message, like it was importing a blank file? The image is dead simple, just the outline of some text with a few compound curves.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
If you'd like to email me the file, I'll look at it and post what I find. What version of Flexi are you using?

cbcie

I also had this type of problem. Back save the illustrator file to 8, then import it. Should work fine. I have to do this all the time.

Cheryl

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
It very much depends on how late a version of Flexi you're running. The current version will read an Illustrator CS (version 11) without any problem.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Just to add something, the live effects in later versions of Illustrator can add other hurdles to importing AI files into Flexi.

Especially when it comes using AI art to cut vinyl or rout parts, Illustrator users should view their layouts in "Outline" or "Artwork" view (depending on version) and make sure all art is represented by real, editable paths. No rasterized effects, no overlaps, etc. --basically all the steps needed to make things "vinyl ready."

Abe

Thanks for the input. I tried emailing you Fred but hotmail seems to be down, sometime soon I'll see if you can import it. ILlustrator CS files import fine, I also tried saving as ver 8 and also as EPS, in all cases nothing showed up and no error message.

There was nothing fancy in the file, a very simple outline of some text.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I've looked at the file, taken corrective steps and sent it back to you. It should work fine now.

Somewhere along the line the file, which was a PDF (Portable Document File) generated by Illustrator, most likely had its extension renamed from PDF to AI. This would definitely confuse Flexi and most other program's import filters.

To prove the point, here is the opening of your file as viewed in a word processor. Yes, most Illustrator AI and EPS files are written in plain English.

Your file:

%PDF-1.4
%âãÏÓ
1 0 obj
<<
/Type /Catalog
/Pages 2 0 R
/Metadata 28 0 R
>>
endobj
2 0 obj
<<
/Type /Pages
/Kids [ 5 0 R ]
/Count 1
>>
endobj
3 0 obj
<<
/ModDate (D:20050518133022-06'00')
/CreationDate (D:20050518133022-06'00')
/Producer (Adobe PDF library 5.00)
/Creator (Adobe Illustrator 10.0)

The resaved as AI version 3 opening looks a bit different:

%!PS-Adobe-3.0
%%Creator: Adobe Illustrator(TM) 3.2
%%AI8_CreatorVersion: 10.0
%%For: (Fred Weiss) (Allied Computer Graphics, Inc.)
%%Title: (customcycle2.ai)
%%CreationDate: 6/2/2005 11:33 PM

Hope this helps.

Leondo

SUPER FRED TO THE RESCUE! :thumb:
superfredtee.jpg

Buck

Abe, Do you use Version 7.5v2.

Because i've noticed a bunch of my Eps files won't open or import. give's me an error message about not a standard file genertion or something like that.

I have to open it in Adobe and resave it as a different version of eps. I think it's like version 8 or 9 that gives problems.
I've had people open the same file in an earlier version of flexi and later version of flexi. but 7.5v2 seems to have an issue.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Flexi and Corel both have that problem. They will export an EPS that other apps can read without difficulty but when you attempt to reimport it, you get a message to the effect that this is not a Postscript file. The issue was still present in the final beta of Flexi 7.6.

Buck

so why is it still a problem in Flexi 7.6. if people with with verison after 7.5v2 will open the file.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
No idea except that it showed up for me and I reported it.

The variations of EPS can be quite far spread and get into many issues such as color mode or modes the file is saved in, not to mention version issues. If you save an EPS out of Flexi it is a version 6. It can also be in mixed color modes. If it is, when you open it in Illustrator, Illustrator will ask you to select one color mode (CMYK or RGB) or the other.

If you resave it in Illustrator, Flexi will open it just fine. If you don't then Flexi will tell you it isn't a Postscript file.

Like I said, you can get the same kind of problems in CorelDRAW.

I suspect the issue is a lower priority and a higher complexity than would get it fixed right away.

Buck

I did me a test... I went to the Filters folder.. Moved the AIimport file to a safe place. Then deleted it from that folder.. re opened Flexi.. And it opens the file just fine. EPS and AI Different version of them files.

The only thing is when you click on Open and view all Readable files the AI files aren't listed. but you can click on *.* files and all files show up and open fine..

Buck

Let me re state myself. my friend tested the same EPS file in Flexi 7.0v2(something like that) and gave an error message. then hit ok and it gave error message again, but then the file OPENED just fine. In 7.5v2 it just gives an error message. But then won't open.

I have some other folks test the same file in 7.5v5 (i think) and the file import
without a problem.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I really don't have a definitive answer ... only that Scanvec-Amiable is aware of the issue.

Things like this are why I own a license to Adobe Illustrator. It's insurance that I can open pretty much any AI or EPS that comes my way.