• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flexisign with GeForce or Quadro?

EternalAudio

Trying to up the performance of FlexiSign. Already have a pretty robust PC, but for some reason, when zooming in and out using CTRL and mouse wheel, on many files, its gawd awfully slow!

Current system specs are:

i7-5820K 3.3GHz
16G RAM DDR4
8.1 Pro 64bit
2 GeForce 980 GTX SLI
4K Monitor

Would getting a Quadro K2200 or something similar help performance? Anyone here using a Quadro card?

Thanks as always!

visual800

Are you running any other programs at same time? An i7 should handle this as well as that video card. Unless its not seated firmly or you need new one like you suggested

T

TonyC

I have both.....

I have 2 systems running the quatro cards. I believe they are 2000 models. They were about $400 each (on sale at Newegg) 2-3 years ago. I have 3 systems running $50 AMD cards and my system uses a AMD card that cost about $250. I honestly cannot tell the difference between any of them.

All of our systems have a hard drive for the operating system, an additional hard drive for all software and a sold state drive for use as a "scratch disk." You would speed your system up by adding these 2 hard drives (much more than a graphic card will do.)

DISCLAIMER: I am by no means a computer expert. These are just my observations.

I upgraded my operating system drive 2 weeks ago to a solid state. I love this upgrade. I will be doing this to the other systems in our shop as soon as I figure how with no down time for the system.

amw

Longtime Members
Changing your OS to a SSD is and will be the biggest performance increase you can get currently.
We changed all of our computers over to SSD's and we would never use a spinning drive again (except for storage).

In our testing and research, the samsung ssd's are great. We also have some that are the 550 pro and it is noticeably faster then the standard 550 evos.

EternalAudio

Yes, sorry.. I am currently running all SSD drives. Which is why I am so confused as to why Flexi is running so slow.

Maybe I'll try a fresh install of Win 10 and see if that helps at all.

visual800

i would say do a full format and reinstallation like you suggested. computers get crammed up over time. what antivirus are you running. AVG, NORTON, McAFEE those all suck. and although others think Im crazy I disable any microsoft junk trying to run on my systems, Defender, essentials, windows updates and thing windows does that says it s GOOD for you, disable it

Thats my opinion and Ive been running my comps with windows 7 for 4 years now with NO ISSUES

Baz

I would like to add...

Are you optimizing your files as well? For what you are producing .. Do you need everything at 300 DPI?

So many times i receive files that are over 1 gigabyte in size and all i am printing is a 24"x48" sign. (I am exaggerating but you get my gist).

Logoadv

Are you dealing with raster or vector graphics? I also can't tell a difference in flexi performance with the quadro card in my current system vs older geforce or radeon cards.

oksigns

Are you dealing with raster or vector graphics? I also can't tell a difference in flexi performance with the quadro card in my current system vs older geforce or radeon cards.

So the added benefit from both products plateau with these applications. The Quadro and FirePro excel in 3d calculations where precision is needed in the calculation of models.

980's in SLI would be extreme overkill for your application unless you do a lot of 3d rendering or 4k processing. I would even go so far to suggest disabling SLI just to see if you see any improvements unless you found a profile that works for you. As fun as SLI can be, it can still be problematic in some applications. SSD wont help much because the file is already loaded in to memory to be displayed from the GPU.

I'm assume the files you are working with are still live and complex with layers intact containing vectors and rasters. Like Baz mentioned, I would focus on optimizing.. rasterize what you can, etc..

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Commonly misstated info regarding adding a SSD...it does NOT boost computer speed. It reads and writes data faster, but will have no impact on the OP's issue at hand, which sounds like graphics rendering. Beefier video card is the way to go for this issue.

EternalAudio

So the added benefit from both products plateau with these applications. The Quadro and FirePro excel in 3d calculations where precision is needed in the calculation of models.

980's in SLI would be extreme overkill for your application unless you do a lot of 3d rendering or 4k processing. I would even go so far to suggest disabling SLI just to see if you see any improvements unless you found a profile that works for you. As fun as SLI can be, it can still be problematic in some applications. SSD wont help much because the file is already loaded in to memory to be displayed from the GPU.

I'm assume the files you are working with are still live and complex with layers intact containing vectors and rasters. Like Baz mentioned, I would focus on optimizing.. rasterize what you can, etc..

I have tried in both SLI and single card. (Card out of machine) And have not noticed any difference in speed.

If you are bored sometime and want to take a look at what I'm working on, heres a link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7tyjrq8s1vv6uj3/Eternal 2.fs?dl=0

I exported to a flexi 8 file so most people should be able to open it.

Scrolling around the screen once the image in visable, seems fairly snappy. Its when the image if off the screen or especially when trying to zoom in and out using CTRL- Mouse wheel, is where my "issue" is.