• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Floor graphic coming up after 1 month

sinclairgraphics1

Sinclair Graphics & Installations
We printed a large floor graphic 8'x8 for a bar in a large sports arena concessions area. My designer seamed it in the middle going against walking traffic(so people would likely hit the seam more) but I wouldn't think that would necessarily cause it too lift like it is. We used adhesion promoter on the seam and also banner tape under the seam so it would hold down aggressively and not lift up. The graphic was double laminated with a smooth floor laminate and a rough texture floor laminate over the top. We were trying to make this as solid as possible. Maybe the double-laminate was not the way to go? Any friendly(non troll) suggestions are always appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• Floorgraphic-Peeling.jpg
    Floorgraphic-Peeling.jpg
    893.2 KB · Views: 304

Dan360

Butt joint instead of overlap seam. Or you can cut a strip of the laminate and use it as an edge sealer to smooth out the transition. But in my experience adhesives don't like textured laminates very much so to avoid that just butt it together.

rjssigns

Some adhesion promoters will kill the adhesive/vinyl. Butt joint like Dan360 suggested would have been the ticket.

Boudica has a point too. Never know if they're using machines to scrub the floor.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like a very stupid idea to put a seamed graphic down on a floor in front of a concession stand at a sports arena. I would bet 100's if not 1,000's of people walk on that in an evening. Not to mention all the crap they spill and drop on it. Can you imagine the units they have to keep the area clean ?? Can you imagine the chemicals used for that, too ?? Making it higher and higher with all your added protection probably didn't help it, either. Made it easier to scuff up and start peeling.

2B

Like the other, change the design and how the installation is done
butt seam, seams WITH the flow of traffic

looking at those photos, the edge was either caught by a shoe heel. or the cleaning crew, my money is the cleaning crew with their floor buffer / scrubbing machine

Sounds like a very stupid idea to put a seamed graphic down on a floor in front of a concession stand at a sports arena. I would bet 100's if not 1,000's of people walk on that in an evening. Not to mention all the crap they spill and drop on it. Can you imagine the units they have to keep the area clean ?? Can you imagine the chemicals used for that, too ?? Making it higher and higher with all your added protection probably didn't help it, either. Made it easier to scuff up and start peeling.
double laminating wouldn't be my first inclination. I always wondered what professional sports arenas use, i.e. basketball courts. Maybe they clear coat it?

We printed a large floor graphic 8'x8 for a bar in a large sports arena concessions area. My designer seamed it in the middle going against walking traffic(so people would likely hit the seam more) but I wouldn't think that would necessarily cause it too lift like it is. We used adhesion promoter on the seam and also banner tape under the seam so it would hold down aggressively and not lift up. The graphic was double laminated with a smooth floor laminate and a rough texture floor laminate over the top. We were trying to make this as solid as possible. Maybe the double-laminate was not the way to go? Any friendly(non troll) suggestions are always appreciated. Thanks!
I feel your frustration, what vinyl did you print on? and what kind of flooring is underneath?

Joe House

Sign Equipment Technician
When you don't install a floor graphic according to the manufacturer's instructions, you've only got yourself to blame. And if a fall happens because someone trips over this, the liability will fall all on you. Follow the manufacturer's instructions to the letter. Don't add to it and don't subtract or substitute.
I haven't looked in years, but the early versions required several coats of floor wax over the graphic to meet the prescribed install.
And yes, the court floors are clear coated, so they're under a thick protective layer.

StephenOrange

Eater of cake. Maker of .
Yeah, butt-join that sucker. The extra lam you added just thickened to top coat making it even likelier to get caught. Also, most vinyls don’t stick on top of the rough lam.
The overlap is also very narrow. If you really want to add an overlap, make it a big one so it has enough grip area, and then you can also trim back damaged edges (but what a pain in the arse)
I would trim the damaged area back so you sit with a butt-join finish on this particular job.

MichelleK

You can't ask too many questions prior to installing floor graphics! Several pointed out that floor scrubbers may be the culprit and second (third, fourth...) that observation. Before replacing, it would be very helpful to find out how the floors are scrubbed, chemicals used, etc. Continental Grafix has several floor graphic options for precisely this type of application. Happy to send samples and/or discuss further if you're in the hunt for an alternative solution.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Michellek........ ya need a special membership called a 'Merchant Membership' to hawk your wares around here. Check into.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No need to apologize to me. I see it all the time and report accordingly to those who DO care.

But I'm glad you responded, at least it shows some integrity.

When you don't install a floor graphic according to the manufacturer's instructions, you've only got yourself to blame. And if a fall happens because someone trips over this, the liability will fall all on you. Follow the manufacturer's instructions to the letter. Don't add to it and don't subtract or substitute.
I haven't looked in years, but the early versions required several coats of floor wax over the graphic to meet the prescribed install.
And yes, the court floors are clear coated, so they're under a thick protective layer.
thanks for confirming the clear coating

Billct2

Agree with following directions and butt seam. Multiple laminares and banner tape could be teh reason. We did our first floor decals with our Gerber Edge, so they had multiple seams. Installed at exit door for grocery stores. They lasted about a year in that extreme environment before starting to wear out.

sinclairgraphics1

Sinclair Graphics & Installations
Agree with following directions and butt seam. Multiple laminares and banner tape could be teh reason. We did our first floor decals with our Gerber Edge, so they had multiple seams. Installed at exit door for grocery stores. They lasted about a year in that extreme environment before starting to wear out.
Thanks for the helpful reply. That's what I'm looking for when I post on this forum. Others love to quickly point out how stupid something was like no one ever makes a mistake. Typically why I stay away from here as people have gotten worse hiding behind their screens like vultures and being jerks all to make themselves feel better and one up the other making comments.