• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Floor Graphics Laminate

Rooster

I have a client who wants to put floor graphics onto a tiled and grouted floor.

My first sample supplied to them was on a cast air release (they want to install it themselves and I figured it would be easier to work with) with a cast 1.5 mil laminate that was approved for slip resistance.

Well that didn't make it through the first time they hit it with the floor polisher.

I'm worried that the thicker lams that can stand up to the floor polishing won't adhere to the grouted areas and the buffer will just grab the edge and lift it.

Am I worried about nothing or is there another product out there I should be looking at? They want them to last for about 6 weeks per promotion. The grout lines are about 1/4".

Aklaim

I think you're going to have a problem finding any material that's going to hold up to a floor polisher over time. The constant spinning and friction of the pad/brush seems like it would do damage to most anything you put down there.

Rooster

My concern is more to do with the laminate not going into the grout depressions and leaving an edge that the polisher can grab.

There's plenty of laminates that can stand up to the polisher and the base vinyl isn't an issue. It's whether or not the harder stiffer lams will get yanked up at the edges on all the grout lines that's my main concern. That's why I started with the cast vinyl, cast lam to test because I knew it was the best combo to conform to the surface irregularities.

Does anybody have any experience with this scenario? I know most floor graphics tend to go down onto floors that don't have the grout lines this client has. Has anybody had issues with their floors graphics coming off because of the vinyl not conforming to the grout lines?

trik

We have done a lot of floor graphics, but none on tile with grout. I am not sure you could guarantee anything. We do not back any vinyl when a polisher is used, even if it holds up fine the first time they polish. Same things on a vehicle, no buffing wheels.

If you finds something that works, I would be interested, good luck!

Smacka

DO NOT WARRANTY! If you are supplying a customer with a product, they must assume all liability if the product is not installed properly. Are they familiar with the proper way to install floor graphics? You can't warranty a product after installation if YOU don't install it! Well, technically you can but it is foolish.

HaroldDesign

3M IJ8624 laminated with 8524 - Textured surface vinyl. Can be applied to a brick wall with deeper groves and texture than a tile floor.

Smacka

DO NOT WARRANTY! If you are supplying a customer with a product, they must assume all liability if the product is not installed properly. Are they familiar with the proper way to install floor graphics? You can't warranty a product after installation if YOU don't install it! Well, technically you can but it is foolish.

CanuckSigns

I'm just thinking out loud here, but could you not print on standard vinyl and laminate with any non slip laminate, but also cut a piece of cast laminate that covers the edges of the print and overhangs by say 0.25", so it can conform to the grout lines and kind of seal the graphic down? am I explaining myself correctly?

TammieH

We did some logos years back for an auto dealership's service garages...actually for the contractor, we applied the logos, the contractor applied a thick clear non-skid coating over top...pretty much bullet proof...sorry I have no idea what the stuff was, but with a bit of Googling you might find a company that does the floor coatings mentioned.