• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Floor graphics questions

gabagoo

My knowledge of floor graphics is pretty basic so I was curious if those of you who have experience may help me out.

I have a marketing company that wants a 48" circle floor graphic, and the quantities will vary and the locations of install will vary.
I asked some questions and find out that the first project is being applied to ceramic tiles....already warning lights are sounding.... Will the vinyl (removable adhesive) stick to grout? I am thinking that the graphic could lift off over time from foot traffic and the grout lines that come out from the edges.

Your thoughts?

bulldozer

depends on how large the tiles are, if you're putting on mosaic type tiles (really small, like 1" X 1") you will probably run into problems. since most tile is 12 X 12, there is a whole lot more to hold onto.

Baz

What about the floor laminate?
That stuff is thick and does not conform at all to any curves.

graphicwarning

Have you checked out Alumigraphics? I've been eyeballing this stuff, and have heard decent things about it. Probably the Alumigraphics Grip is the one you'd want?

I'm only speculating of course... I haven't ordered a roll yet... but intend on trying some out in the next few weeks!

SheelahB

AlumiGraphics Grip

We tested a 12" x 12" square of this material on a bare concrete section of our shop floor, directly under the workbench where the guys stand on it all day (high traffic). It lasted 7+ months with not a bit of fading or peeling and has a good non-slip texture. The specifications say it withstands heavy pedestrian traffic up to 1 year... and that it will stick to brick (and remove cleanly), so I imagine you would be just fine on tile grout. Not so easy on the wallet, but worth it if you want it to last.

Have you checked out Alumigraphics? I've been eyeballing this stuff, and have heard decent things about it. Probably the Alumigraphics Grip is the one you'd want?

I'm only speculating of course... I haven't ordered a roll yet... but intend on trying some out in the next few weeks!

We saw some of this stuff applied and tested first hand at the Grimco show last summer in Chicago. It works amazingly well on about any surface both horizontal and vertical.

bigben

Alumigraphics is a great stuff, but up here in canada it's around 6$\sqft. So telling the customer that is 12-15$ per sqft, it's a deal breaker.

graphicwarning

Alumigraphics is a great stuff, but up here in canada it's around 6$\sqft. So telling the customer that is 12-15$ per sqft, it's a deal breaker.

I have found that as well, that it is quite expensive here. And so far... unless I am mistaken or have forgotten, but there is only one distributor in Canada so far isn't there?

I really want to try it and offer it... but I find it pricey...

I think you get what you pay for. You want a graphic you can walk all over that's conforming and durable, you should expect to pay $15 a square foot. Last I checked around our area, a high definition full color digital print on Kodak photo paper runs about $7.00 a square foot. Remind yourself of that next time you think you're charging too much for outdoor printed adhesive films with or (in this case) without a laminate.

genericname

For lam, have you checked out PMP out of Montreal? They have a 5mil for floor graphics that's certified skid proof. Don't know about adhesion to grout though, but Richard there is super informed on all the limits and benefits of any given stock.

gabagoo

The customer is talking big numbers but as predicted he only wants me to start with one or two. I am not making an investment in full rolls of 3m product to do 1 or 2. I can buy removable adhesive vinyl and a floor graphic laminate by the yard from another supplier. It's just not 3M. I have used the stuff before for industrial applications and had no complaints...my only worry is dealing with tile grout and possible lifting.
I will run a test to see just how strong the vinyl and the laminate are on tiles

shoresigns

The customer is talking big numbers but as predicted he only wants me to start with one or two. I am not making an investment in full rolls of 3m product to do 1 or 2. I can buy removable adhesive vinyl and a floor graphic laminate by the yard from another supplier. It's just not 3M. I have used the stuff before for industrial applications and had no complaints...my only worry is dealing with tile grout and possible lifting.
I will run a test to see just how strong the vinyl and the laminate are on tiles

You don't have to invest in a full roll in order to test a product. Ask your supplier and/or manufacturer for a sample roll.

KingofProcrasta

I have both types of aluminum foil, grip for floors and smooth for everything else. I'm quoting $16-$20/sqft.
Installations on brick, block and concrete have gone well and look great. I recommend trying it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 111