• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Floor Graphics

Colin

I’m going to be quoting on a floor graphics job, and am wondering about what particular vinyl one should use (low-tack / regular-tack / high-tack?), and I imagine that one should use a floor-graphic-specific non-skid laminate (pricey!) – or does a regular matte lam offer enough skid resistance? (I don’t want to wind-up in court – LOL).

The specific floor graphic lams are about 4.5 - 6.5 mil thick, so will my VersaCamm have any problem cutting through that and the print media?

I guess I should draft up a release letter too eh?

Thx.

Typestries

Try a matched system- we like the oracal version. No problems cutting through the lam and the print either.

Colin

Ya, I just want to be able to offer two different price points should the customer baulk at the high price of the proper stuff. It seems that the suppliers I phone aren't very knowledgeable on this topic.

MikePro

3M 3645 Overlam works great. nice and thick and has a "slip-resistant" surface.
claims 2 year durability, but I've had floor graphics down longer than that with only mild scuffing and zero lifting.

Colin

3M 3645 Overlam works great. nice and thick and has a "slip-resistant" surface.

Ya, I was just talking to a supplier about that; it's 9 mil thick! Will my Roland SPi cut through that and the print media? This order may be large quantities.

So a regular matte lam and print media is definitely a no-no?

rfulford

General Formulations Concept 211 is not too pricey for a textured floor laminate.

I have not tried it, buy my Grimco rep says that the gloss Briteline shield is UL rated as non skid.

MikePro

shoot, we used to cut sandblasting mask (25mil) on our plotter just fine back in the day before we started just routing them instead when we picked up our multicam.

a 12mil print/lam should be just fine to run through your cutter, my mimaki cg130 isn't anything spectacular. I'd imagine, if anything, that you'd need to go to a different degree blade... i can't remember off the top of my head if we did.

regular print/lam? i still wouldn't see whynot, but they won't last nearly as long.

Colin

shoot, we used to cut sandblasting mask (25mil) on our plotter just fine...

Yes, but I meant cutting 'em on my Roland SP540i printer. Something tells me they're not as capable for doing heavy cutting compared to a dedicated cutter. I also have a Summa D750Pro, but no IPOS.

Regular print/lam? I still wouldn't see why not, but they won't last nearly as long.

I guess I'll give the customer the option. One of my main concerns is how slippery on a wet day the regular matte lam might be. Avoiding lawsuits is a good idea.

MikePro

avery has a huge selection of floor-rated overlaminates that meet UL slip-resistance:
(haven't use any, but I'm inclined to trust it if it's carried by more than one of my suppliers)

Avery DOL 1060(2.1mil cast gloss), 1080(2.1mil cast matte), 2060 (3.1 calendared gloss), 2070(3.1 calendared luster), 2080(3.1 calendared matte), 3060, 3070, and 3080 (same as 2000 series, but newer formula with better outdoor protection).